[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript output from the Macintosh <<help>>

hemmat@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (06/06/90)

In article <1990May14.215409.16644@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>,
shimmin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (John Shimmin) writes:

> In article <21069@boulder.Colorado.EDU>
> huntert@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Tim Hunter) writes:

>>The recent article on hairlines in Mac programs reminded me of something I'd
>>like to be able to do:
>>
>>I know that Adobe Illustrator (or is it Aldus Freehand?) saves it's files as
>>postscript code.  I'd like to be able to get this type of output for other
>>programs, such as Pagemaker or Excel.  If I could get a text file of postscipt
>>code from these applications, then I'd be able to send it to the local unix
>>  Tim Hunter				University of Colorado, Boulder
>>  huntert@tramp.Colorado.EDU		'I really don't like lobster!'

> A little documented feature of macs is that if you hold down the 'k' key
> after you send the print command, you will generate a postscript text
> file.  i'm not sure if it matters what printer you have selected with
> the chooser.  The times I have tried it, a laser printer was selected,
> but it seems like it might work independently of the chosen printer.
> ------
> John Shimmin
> shimmin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu

	I have tried holding down the "k" key after sending a file
to the laser-printer, and successfully generated a psc file. I then
tried to laser-print this fie from an IBM PC, after transferring it
of course, using TOPS and was not successful at all. I have received
no error messages, no output, nothing what-so-ever.

	Is the Mac's generateed postscript different from standard
postscript? and if it is, is there any way to convert one to another?
Any pointers/help will be appreciated. All I am trying to do is to
generate standard postscript files from Mac applications and be able
to send them to a laser printer via main-frames.
Thanks in advance.

M. Hemmat
--
Hemmat@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Hemmat@ukanvax.bitnet

wsinkees@lso.win.tue.nl (Kees Huizing) (06/06/90)

hemmat@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>	I have tried holding down the "k" key after sending a file
>to the laser-printer, and successfully generated a psc file. I then
>tried to laser-print this fie from an IBM PC, after transferring it
>of course, using TOPS and was not successful at all. I have received
>no error messages, no output, nothing what-so-ever.

>	Is the Mac's generateed postscript different from standard
>postscript? and if it is, is there any way to convert one to another?
>Any pointers/help will be appreciated. All I am trying to do is to
>generate standard postscript files from Mac applications and be able
>to send them to a laser printer via main-frames.
>Thanks in advance.

This is in principle the way.  Although I do it with command-f.  On our
Postscript printers -- connected to a network --, however, things go wrong,
for some reason or the other.  We have a program called "mcvert" which removes
the problematic things *and* adds the Apple macros.  These are added by the
command-k trick.  So I save with command-f, get a postscript file without
macros, which is considerably smaller, and send it to the Unix machine,
convert it with mcvert and spool it to the laserprinter.  Works perfect,
especially if you use the standard Adobe fonts (Helvetica, Palatino, etc).
I have the C-source of mcvert, I don't know whether it is free.  Ask me.

--
Kees Huizing - Eindhoven Univ of Techn - Dept Math & Comp Sc - The Netherlands
DOMAIN: wsinkees@win.tue.nl    BITNET: wsdckeesh@heitue5    FAX: +31-40-436685

jbd@osf.org (Bruce Dawson) (06/06/90)

In article <1208@tuewsd.win.tue.nl>, wsinkees@lso.win.tue.nl (Kees
Huizing) writes:
> I have the C-source of mcvert, I don't know whether it is free.  Ask me.

I know I'd be interested in a copy of mcvert, and I'm sure anyone who's
had this problem would also be interested. How about posting a copy in
comp.misc.sources?

--Bruce

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (06/06/90)

}Huizing) writes:
}> I have the C-source of mcvert, I don't know whether it is free.  Ask me.

}I know I'd be interested in a copy of mcvert, and I'm sure anyone who's
}had this problem would also be interested. How about posting a copy in
}comp.misc.sources?

There's another package, called 'macps' that does the same thing.  I just
ftp'ed a copy from some system .  Here's the notice that came with the copy
I've got... perhaps someone could comment on where the info-mac archive
lives..  Although he says it was posted to comp.sources.unix, and so it
should be available in the uunet archives of same.

  /Bernie\

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 89 11:07:00 PST
From: edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu
Subject: New version of macps/prepfix (2.2)

[Note to info-mac moderator: This version replaces the current version
in the info-mac/unix directory.  Thanks.  Ed]

I've just posted the latest version of macps & prepfix (2.2) to
comp.sources.unix and comp.sources.mac and it should soon be available
by anonymous ftp from sumex-aim.stanford.edu, in the info-mac/unix
directory.  Here is a brief description:

Macps is a Unix program that takes an uploaded PostScript file created
on a Macintosh (by typing Command-F at the LaserWriter dialog box) and
includes an appropriately modified LaserPrep file so that the result
can be sent to a PostScript printer from Unix.  Since the Apple
LaserPrep files are copyrighted, I've included a program, prepfix, that
reads version 4.0 and up LaserPrep files, and edits them so that they
are compatible with macps, and are even electronically mailable.

CHANGES IN VERSION 2.2

Version 2.2 of macps/prepfix adds support of LaserWriter 6.0, and contains
some minor bug fixes.  Printing under NeXT 1.0 to the NeXT laser printer
works well for LaserWriter 4.0 - 5.2 (except for the inherent problems
of printing patterns at 400 dpi), but under LaserWriter 6.0, some things
just don't print, and I don't know why (the exact same file prints fine
on a LaserWriter).

Edward Moy                              Principal Programmer - Macintosh &
Unix
Workstation Support Services            Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

wsinkees@lso.win.tue.nl (Kees Huizing) (06/08/90)

jbd@osf.org (Bruce Dawson) writes:

>I know I'd be interested in a copy of mcvert, and I'm sure anyone who's
>had this problem would also be interested. How about posting a copy in
>comp.misc.sources?

The program we use is not mcvert, it's macps.  I confused the names. Sorry.

		What is in a name?
		Which we call a rose
		Would smell as well
		By any other name.
			- Douglas Adams

--

takahash@ntmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) (06/16/90)

In article <8997@paperboy.OSF.ORG> jbd@virgin.mv.com writes:
>In article <1208@tuewsd.win.tue.nl>, wsinkees@lso.win.tue.nl (Kees
>Huizing) writes:
>> I have the C-source of mcvert, I don't know whether it is free.  Ask me.
>
>I know I'd be interested in a copy of mcvert, and I'm sure anyone who's
>had this problem would also be interested. How about posting a copy in
>comp.misc.sources?
>
>--Bruce

If this is the mcvert I know about, it has NOTHING to do with
Postscript.  It is a utility to convert to/from Binhex format
to MacBinary.  It runs on Unix systems.

If there is another mcvert out there, well.......

Alan Takahashi                          !       hplabs   amdahl
Northern Telecom Inc.                   !            \   /
Mountain View, CA                       !UUCP:  ...!{-----}!ntmtv!takahash
                                        !              |
"When you need to knock on wood is when !             ames
  you realize the world's composed of   !INTERNET:
  aluminum and vinyl." -- Flugg's Law   !    ntmtv!takahash@ames.arc.nasa.gov

kath@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William L. Kath) (06/17/90)

We have recently been exploring the different options for getting Postscript
output from MacDrawII into another application, namely PCTeX.  (Their
Postscript printer driver allows the inclusion of other postscript files.)
We have tried macps (for unix) and DistillPS (for the Mac), but in the end
the way that seemed to work best was a set of LaserPrep files for
non-Apple postscript printers.  One justs gets the Postscript file without
the LaserPrep header using command-F, and then appends it to the appropriate
non-Apple-laserprep.  This file could then be included as is into a PCTeX
document.

Note that this method does not give the BoundingBox required for EPS;
if one needs that, then DistillPS or one of the other methods mentioned
recently in postings should be used.

We found all of the above via anonymous ftp from the Info-Mac archives
(sumex-aim.stanford.edu).

Bill Kath ----------------------- kath@delta.eecs.nwu.edu
             Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics
McCormick School of Engineering,  Northwestern University