[comp.lang.postscript] Does an enhanced public domain postscript interpreter exist ?

oliveria@caen.engin.umich.edu (ROQUE DONIZETE DE OLIVEIRA) (06/29/90)

In May 1989 this appear in comp.lang.postscript:

   From: opus@athena.mit.edu (Mr. P. Opus)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.postscript
   Subject: Re: Goswell's Postscript Interpreter
   Date: 11 May 89 09:07:35 GMT
   Sender: daemon@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU

   A note to all those people wondering about a PostScript interpreter
   for X11: There exists one, written by Crispin Goswell.  We have a
   version of this interpreter here at athena, and have spent MANY hours
   optimizing it.  It is currently approximately 20-200 times faster than
   the version 1.4 with patches that is in general release.  We are
   trying to iron out the last of the nasty bugs, and will post the
   results soon (pending approval of Mr. Goswell).

   This program was optimized by trained professionals using the proper
   profiling equipment.  Please do not attempt this in your own home if
   you value your sanity.

   -David Jedlinsky
   opus@athena.mit.edu
   Project Athena ``Watchmaker''

So did anything appear from that posting?
It would be nice to make Mr. Goswell's postscript
interpreter go faster (or have colors and greek letters).
I tried to contact the involved parts by e-mail but haven't
got a reply yet. Hopefully someone involved with Project
Athena will be able to shed some light on this.
Thanks for any help.

    Roque Oliveira
    oliveria@caen.engin.umich.edu