[net.micro] DEC RAINBOW compatibility ?

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (06/24/86)

	 I have a friend who has a Rainbow 100. Sorry if its been covered
before but... What is the level of compatibility between the Rainbow and
the IBM PC. Can the Rainbow read PC floppies ? Can the Rainbow in general
run PC programs ? Are there hardware or software solutions which can improve
its PC compatibility ?

	Thanks.

					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					Dept. Neurobiology
					Rockefeller Univ.
					1230 York Ave.
					NY, NY 10021
					212-570-7671
					...cmcl2!rna!dan
					rna!dan@cmcl2.arpa

movshon@acf8.UUCP (06/26/86)

Dan Ts'o writes:

	 I have a friend who has a Rainbow 100. Sorry if its been covered
before but... What is the level of compatibility between the Rainbow and
the IBM PC. Can the Rainbow read PC floppies ? Can the Rainbow in general
run PC programs ? Are there hardware or software solutions which can improve
its PC compatibility ?

The answers ...

    1. The Rainbow is about as un-compatible with the IBM PC as an 8088
based MSDOS machine can get. Sorry. The Rainbow will run any generic MSDOS
software, including stuff that relies on an ANSI screen interface, but
little or nothing that is tailored for the IBM PC or clones.

    2. The Rainbow can read IBM floppies, as long as they are single-sided,
double density (make 'em on a PC with the "format /1" command). The Rainbow
"mediachk" function must be "on" (the default). If the floppies were for-
matted on a quad-density drive (like an AT's), then the Rainbow can write
them as well. The latest release of DOS 2.11 helps this disk exchange
process a lot.

    3. There are no hardware solutions to the Rainbow/PC incompatibility
that I know of. Many programs, however, exist in Rainbow versions or can
be adapted to run on the Rainbow, so the situation is by no means hope-
less. The best place to go looking for public-domain stuff is the archive
on DEC-MARLBORO, which is maintained by Bernie Eiben of DEC's LCG. This
system is available for file transfer via anonymous FTP, and can also be
logged in to using the login "log lcg.kermit kermit". I have the phone
number somewhere for the dialup lines, but can't presently lay my hands
on it ...

    4. As I've observed before on the net, the failures of compatibility
that the Rainbow suffers are nearly always because it is *better* than
the PC. If the PC were "Rainbow-compatible", it would be a better machine.
So it goes.

					Tony Movshon

arpa:	movshon@nyu
uucp:	...{seismo|ihnp4|allegra}!cmcl2!xp!tony
usps:	Department of Psychology, NYU
	6 Washington Place, room 1083
	New York, NY 10003
at&t:	(212) 598-2818

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) (06/28/86)

[Just ignore the line eater!  Don't honor it!]

In article <508@rna.UUCP> dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:

>	 I have a friend who has a Rainbow 100. Sorry if its been covered
>before but... What is the level of compatibility between the Rainbow and
>the IBM PC. Can the Rainbow read PC floppies ? Can the Rainbow in general
>run PC programs ? Are there hardware or software solutions which can improve
>its PC compatibility ?
>
>					Dan Ts'o
>					...cmcl2!rna!dan
>					rna!dan@cmcl2.arpa

   Dan -

   Yup it's been covered before but that was before new product announce-
   ments and developments occurred... This is a little bit of helpful info
   for any DEC Rainbow owners out there...

   The Rainbow's "level of compatibility" with the IBM PC (in it's basic
   form) is pretty much limited to "straight", non-IBM ROM-BIOS-calling MS-DOS
   programs.  Programs that make use of strange key assignments and screen
   control won't work unless control-character key sequences that mimick
   the same special function key sequences are included.  Not many programs
   there.  Graphics... Well, that's right out...  Sob...

   And, that limited subset of programs gets weeded even further unless you
   place the program on a SINGLE-sided disk.  Now, I have had luck reading
   IBM-formatted single-sided disks but the preferred method is to use the
   Rainbow to format said disks and transfer the data and programs from the
   IBM PC to those disks.  (notice we're discussing PC/PC-XT disks...)

   Ok, fine.  Most likely 95% of the time: How are you going to tell if an
   IBM PC program is "generic" MS-DOS?  Guess.  Read the very fine print in
   the documentation.  Or, have a colleague tell you.  None of these procedures
   are totally adequate.  A lot of programs, however, work fine on the
   Rainbow and SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on companies that do not advertise this
   fact!  Companies could raise their profits by mentioning that their
   software works on MS (not only PC)- DOS machines!

   So, over the last year a number of solutions have appeared on the market.
   For a machine everyone thinks is "dead", there are more hardware and soft-
   ware companies providing enhancements to the Rainbow than ever before.
   DEC still has the machine in production!

   DEC would like to forget the Rainbow.  They marketed it POORLY.  It is
   a very sophisticated and well-designed machine.  (How many International
   Design awards has the IBM PC won?)  DEC got burned and would probably
   love it if they could make people forget about it.  FAT CHANCE.  There
   are too many out there to simply vanish.  BTW, DEC has received more
   orders for Rainbows over the last 6-9 months than they have had in the
   same period in years past.  DEC is simply not sure how or what to do
   about this situation.

   Enough about DEC's foibles...

   Several companies now offer HARDWARE solutions to the IBM-compatibility
   issue.  Notably, Disk Tech One produces the RB-Link and RB-Link, Jr.
   line of PC-interface devices.  The Jr. is simply an add-on box to let
   the Rainbow user get a hold of cheaper IBM harddisks and double-sided
   floppy units.  Also, the Jr. provides access to the 3Com Ethernet board.
   The user can then get to data and generic programs (there's that "generic"
   word again.  Martha, where's the shotgun?!) on PC-formatted media without
   any hassle.

   The RB-Link, on the other hand, is a full PC-XT box with interface
   hardware and software that lets the user do everything the Jr does plus
   have all those extra expansion slots for all that wonderful PC hardware
   out there.  GRAPHICS INCLUDED.  The hardware/software link lets the
   Rainbow user transfer data and programs from/to the Rainbow's/PC's
   floppies/hard disks and uses the high-quality DEC monitors and keyboard
   on the Rainbow and switchs between the two machines by hitting the F20
   key.  Full IBM keyboard mapping and even the 25TH LINE is on the
   Rainbow monitor!  Complete with horrible IBM-flicker scroll...!

   Side note:  My, where have I seen that NEW PC-AT keyboard before?  (Not
   in the ads for IBM's ASCII terminal...I mean...)

   Another side note:  Unless you're a research PC user or lab-techie,
   how many people NEED to have 8 parallel/4 serial/game port/EGA/384K/
   80x87/ethernet/vt100 emulator/ combo boards????  Give me a break...

   Ok, one more:  DEC's Rainbow had an "EGA" board before IBM even thought
   about releasing one for their PC.  The Rainbow's 800x240 graphics
   board can put up graphics that shame a PC.  Maybe it can't do animation
   as fast but it can make the pictures LOOK better.  DEC had all this
   AND a great flicker-free VT100 & graphics machine all the while IBM
   was trying to fix its Commodore-64K-clone machine.  Why buy a PC with
   an inefficient VT100 emulator program or hardware board when you can
   have the real (well, almost real) thing!?

   More stuff...

   Suitable Solutions, Inc. produces the IDRIVE which acts very much
   like the RB-Link Jr. sans expansion slots.  They are also releasing
   an internal half-height version.

   Dan Pleasant has released (accidently) a (now) Public-Domain program
   originally called DIBEM (Dan's IBm Emulator) which provides roughly
   65% IBM-software compability.  You get an IBM-PC program on double-
   density, single-sided IBM disks or quad-density Rainbow disks and
   invoke the emulator with the PC-program as a command arguement.
   The last PD version is 0.3 and is available on many DEC-oriented
   FIDO BBSs.  Sometime soon DEC will be releasing (rumor mill here)
   this program under the name "CodeBlue".  It will be faster and
   support more software than the PD version and will, reportedly,
   cost under $100.  I have heard it runs Lotus-123 Release 2, PC-File,
   the Norton Utilities, and literally SCORES of PC-programs with NO
   modification.  It will not support graphics.  That's asking a bit
   much.  So, Flight Simulator is out!  It handles nearly all of the
   IBM special function key arrangements and, yes, even manages to run
   SideKick very nicely, thank you.

   Currently, that's all I have confirmed reports on.  I know of several
   rumored items in the works but I cannot release any info on them.

   However, CSH, Inc. of New Hampshire and Computer Products International
   of CA are currently producing Rainbow hard disk/controllers/drives
   of up to 360MEG (CPI, Inc.)  and these controllers support from 2 (CSH)
   to 4 (CPI) hard disks.  Rainbow Data Systems now produces two clock/
   calender/8087 boards.  Rainbo ClockWorks also produces a clock/calender
   board for around $120.  Duncan McDonald, Inc. produces a 10MEG cartridge
   tape backup system for the 100+.  National Instruments makes an IEEE-488
   interface board.  Univation has a whole series of RAM boards, ethernet
   boards, and disk systems for the Rainbow.

   Rumor has it that Wendin, Inc. (makers of PC-UNIX and PC-VMS) will
   release version for the Rainbow soon...due to a demanding bunch of
   people out there!)

   From DEC:  DEC, through Tecmar, will be producing a CD-ROM controller and
   drive for the Rainbow.  They also have a thin-wire Ethernet board soon
   to be available. DECnet-DOS.  And, DEC  fought with Lotus and a Rainbow
   100 version of 123 Release 2 is due out soon.  An enhanced version of
   Ashton-Tate's DBase III is coming out about the same time.  And, FOR
   TRUE COMPATIBILITY, keep an eye open for the VAXMate AT-compatible due
   to be announced at the Euro-DECUS meeting in early September.  The
   machine LOOKS MARVELOUS (sorry Billy).

   There are others but I can't remember everything....

   Now, to PC fans, this may seem terribly small.  Well, there's a difference
   between quality and quantity.  True, there is a lot of quality out for
   the PC, but having to wade through all the garbage out there is a bit
   daunting.  While the new add-on products for the Rainbow are few in
   number, the quality is consistently high and the devices well-engineered.

   Disclaimers:  I am not associated with any of the mentioned companies
   and provide no services nor intentional advertising for them.  I pass
   along this info to help Rainbow users.  Any rumors or any other such
   related items are simply that: rumors.

   Copyrights:  Any product names mentioned are trademarks of the companies
   well-recognized as their creators....

   Anyone wishing addresses and prices (I don't have all these things
   memorized!), send me a mail message at any of the addresses below.
   Also, if you have any questions or need help for software/hardware
   support for the Rainbow, feel free to contact me.

   All stupid flames to /dev/null, thank you... Comments, valid criticisms,
   and Rainbow questions are invited...

   Enjoy!
   Alan

          Alan I. Vymetalik
          Prism Software Designs    (formerly AVSD, Ltd.)
          646-1 University Avenue
          Rochester, New York, 14607-1232

          uucp:    {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
          bitnet:  aiv1974@ritvaxd

jso@edison.UUCP (07/08/86)

In article <11120001@acf8.UUCP>, movshon@acf8.UUCP (Tony Movshon) writes:
> The best place to go looking for public-domain stuff is the archive
> on DEC-MARLBORO, which is maintained by Bernie Eiben of DEC's LCG. This
> system is available for file transfer via anonymous FTP, and can also be
> logged in to using the login "log lcg.kermit kermit". I have the phone
> number somewhere for the dialup lines, but can't presently lay my hands
> on it ...
> 					Tony Movshon

The number is (617) 467-7437.  There is another "public login"
that might interest some people:  log lcg.customer customer

	John Owens @ General Electric Company	(+1 804 978 5726)
	jso%virginia@CSNet-Relay.ARPA			[old arpa]
	jso@virginia.EDU				[w/ nameservers]
	jso@edison.UUCP					[w/ uucp domains]
	{cbosgd allegra ncsu xanth}!uvacs!edison!jso	[roll your own]