[comp.lang.postscript] Saving forms to PS printer disk

schear@ttidca.TTI.COM (Steve Schear) (06/27/90)

THIS POSTING IS A EDITED VERSION OF YESTERDAY'S POSTING

I am currently working on a project which requires that I can print a
complex form (perhaps scanned from an original printed copy) in short
order (<30 sec).  No PS engine I can find is capable of handling this
task.  Our current DP LZ1260 certainly cannot.  Therefore, I have begun
persuing other alternatives.

The nost attractive one at the moment involves sending the form to the
printer and imaging it in the engine to just prior to the print step.  At
this point the bit map image would be written to the disk and saved
until a job requiring this form was required.  Then the form would be
loaded into printer memory, from the locally attached disk, and have the
form's variable (i.e., field information) overlayed, and the result printed.

I understand that PS2 is supposed to have such a feature, but even if it
would work for my application, I cannot wait.  Is there any reasonably
straightforward way to accomplish the same effect on a current PS printer
(e.g., DP or LW IINTX) using its private disk option?

Steve Schear
Product Planner
Citicorp/TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd., MS-44
Santa Monica, CA 90405
(213) 450-9111, x2880

phillips@tegra.COM (Steve Phillips) (06/28/90)

In article <18099@ttidca.TTI.COM> schear@ttidca.TTI.COM (Steve Schear) writes:
>I am working on a project which requires the rapid display of filled in
>forms. We are currently using a DataProducts LZ1260i (which I believe
>does not have a provision for a disk support), but could switch to a
>LW NTX if required.
>
>My question is this.  Could PS code be sent to a PS printer, which
>supports an attached disk, which could store an imaged document
>(just prior to printing) in such a way as to be easily recalled
>from disk (in a later job) and have information "filled-in" over
>the form and printed?  Imaging time of the forms we would like
>to use is much to slow, and a faster printer does not appear to
>be an acceptable solution either.
>
>I've heard that PS2 will include such a feature, but my problem
>is immediate.  Any suggestions?

I'll take advantage of the opportunity to put in a plug for
the product I work on, the Varityper 5000.  Our PostScript
interpreter provides PostScript commands to save page bitmaps
to disk and to call these pre-imaged pages out from other jobs
Our customers use it for applications like forms generation
or for adding logos or other commonly used symbols to their
documents.

Now that I've gotten my plug out of the way... :^)

On a low-resolution printer which uses a frame buffer (e.g. most
300-DPI printers) you might be able to use the copypage operator
to accomplish what you're trying to do.  Draw your basic form,
add the text, and do copypage to show the first page.  For each
successive page, erase the text you've previously drawn by
overwriting it in white, draw the new text, and do another
copypage.  This should run fairly quickly, since the form will
have been imaged only for the first page.  For the pages after it,
only the erasing and the new text need to be drawn.

Unfortunately, this trick only works for low-resolution printers.
Higher-resolution devices can't afford the memory for a full page
bitmap, so they store all of the page elements in a display list.
The entire display list is reimaged for every page, so you wouldn't
get any benefit out of the copypage operator.  In fact, each page
would actually slow down, since all of the layers of text and erase
boxes would have to be reimaged for every page.

So play around with copypage - it might solve your problem.

- Steve

Steve Phillips                                         Tegra-Varityper, Inc.
tegra!phillips@uunet.com                               Billerica, MA

hburford@enint.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (06/29/90)

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:

>Don Lancaster is currently doing this. He welcomes calls, and prints his
>phone number in the Computer Shopper.  602-428-4073.
>Don is a well known author, and has really been working rather diligently
>on "book on demand" printing.  I think that the last time I talked to him,
>he said that he had an Apple talking to a disk over SCSI, that was also
>chained to the Laser.  He has certainly saved stuff to the hard disk, and can
>dump it into the interpreter.  I think that the time is soon coming when
>you can daisy chain the laser to a  SCSI port on a computer, and freely
>access the hdisk, from either the laser or the computer.  There are a few
>bugs to be worked out, but it looks like it might be doable.
>Cheers
>Woody

The day of the SCSI printer is TODAY!    NCR demonstrated their
6436 SCSI printer at both Spring/COMDEX '90 and PC/Expo.  The printer
is available in either single ended or differential SCSI models and
(depending on model) have a serial or parallel port, too.   The
show demonstration was to print a PageMaker page from a PC.
Carriage return to page in hand time was about 20 seconds.   This
included the 13 seconds for the engine to go off idle and move the
paper thru.   Page size was 630K!

--
Harry Burford - NCR Peripheral Products Division, Printer Products
PHONE:316-636-8016  TELEX:417-465  FAX:316-636-8889    CALL:KA0TTY

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (07/01/90)

In article <601@enint.Wichita.NCR.COM>, hburford@enint.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) writes:
> woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:
>

> >Don Lancaster is currently doing this. He welcomes calls, and prints his
> >phone number in the Computer Shopper.  602-428-4073.
> >Don is a well known author, and has really been working rather diligently
> >on "book on demand" printing.  I think that the last time I talked to him,
>
> The day of the SCSI printer is TODAY!    NCR demonstrated their
> 6436 SCSI printer at both Spring/COMDEX '90 and PC/Expo.  The printer
> Carriage return to page in hand time was about 20 seconds.   This
> included the 13 seconds for the engine to go off idle and move the
> paper thru.   Page size was 630K!
That's impressive, but was it POSTSCRIPT, or a bit map.

I'm really refering to taking a generic Postscript laser printer that
has a hard disk with a SCSI connection, and either replacing the
harddisk with a computer/harddisk combination, that makes the computer
look  like the SCSI harddisk, such that the laser thinks it is talking
the the hard disk, when in fact it is talking to the computer, which is
feeding it data from a hard disk, worm disk, or application.
Or, setting things up such that a PC can read and write the Laser printer's
hard disk as if it were a normal SCSI hard disk for the computer, and
allowing the laser to access the hard disk normaly, i.e. using the hard
disk as sort of a buffer to the laser.  As I said, Don is working on the latter
part of this, and has most of it working, though there are bugs still.

Cheers
Woody