[comp.lang.postscript] A PS previewer for X-windows....

jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart) (07/05/90)

In reading the question concerning a PS previewer for sunview, it
occurred to me there might be one for X-windows under Sys V. Does
anyone know of such a beast?

			Thanx for the time...Ace
--
| Ace Stewart (Jonathan III)                             |A       /\       |
| Affiliation: Eastman Kodak Company. Rochester New York |      _/  \_     |

alastair@vogon.cetia.fr (Alastair Adamson) (07/18/90)

In article <3812@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jstewart@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ace Stewart) writes:
>In reading the question concerning a PS previewer for sunview, it
>occurred to me there might be one for X-windows under Sys V. Does
>anyone know of such a beast?

There is a program called PS or xps (for X11 version) which was posted
to the net a couple of years ago. Below is the README that comes with it.
------------------------
This is a version of Crispin Goswell's PostScript interpreter, which was
posted to comp.sources.unix in Nov 87. (Volume 12 - v12i050 to v12i067)

It also includes fixes and speedups by John Myers <jm36+@andrew.cmu.edu>,
posted to comp.sources.bugs in Jan 88, and to comp.sources.misc in Jul 88
(Volume 4 - v04i006 and v04i007). (The latter set of fixes also include
Barry Shein's speedups, and Terry Weissman's X11 driver)

I added an Imakefile.

It has been tested and seen to work on Sun3s and Sun4s, running
SunOS3.5 and SunOS4.0, under X11R2 and X11R3. It used to work under
X10R4 as well, but that hasn't been tested for a while.

For Sun3s, it has been compiled with both cc and gcc (v1.35)

For Sun4s, compile it WITHOUT -O, otherwise it dumps core; something
to do with structures being passed around on the stack.

	- moraes
I don't know anything about the Sun version (I don't have a sun).
For X11 it works ok but only in black and white - no gray levels.
It also uses the colours with all bits 0 and all bits 1 and thus
requires the color palette set up with black in one "corner" and
white in the other; see the 'xset' program with the 'p' option.

Best of luck, Alastair