[comp.lang.postscript] Need help wiNeed Help With PostScript printer

dchunt@elrond.CalComp.COM (Douglas C. Hunt) (07/17/90)

I need some help.

I have this Dataproducts 1260i PostScript printer and I want
to default it to printing LANDSCAPE.  The files sent to it are always
PostScript and I have no control over what goes to the printer.  I would like
to download a file to initialize the printer to landscape.  Can anyone send
me some PostScript to set this printer up?  Thanks.

                          Douglas Hunt
 MailStop PTP2-2D13        ---   \      CalComp Display Products Division
 (603) 885-8018            --<    >                    a Lockheed Company
                              |/\|         65 River Rd, Hudson, NH  03051
 dchunt@elrond.CalComp.COM     or          {decvax|harvard}!elrond!dchunt

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (07/20/90)

In article <2829@elrond.CalComp.COM> dchunt@elrond.CalComp.COM (Douglas C. Hunt) writes:
<
<I need some help.
<
<I have this Dataproducts 1260i PostScript printer and I want
<to default it to printing LANDSCAPE.  The files sent to it are always
<PostScript and I have no control over what goes to the printer.  I would like
<to download a file to initialize the printer to landscape.  Can anyone send
<me some PostScript to set this printer up?  Thanks.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way.  Landscape is a description to indicate to
humans that the output is rotated in such a way that the paper looks like
it is turned on its side.

PostScript printers can place its output on the paper in any angle of a
circle, ie, the document can be rotated 45 degrees, 90 degrees, 98.7 degrees,
etc.  Landscape just so happens to be a 90 (or 270) degree rotation.

The PostScript file that is sent to the printer will set up the printer to
the orientation that was desired when the document was created.  If you were
to send a simple string to change the rotation value and set new origin
points, the PostScript document being sent to the printer will change it
back.

Also, if you were to manually change the PostScript file so that it did
print with a rotation of 90 degrees, the test/data will still attempt to
print in Portrait, ie, it will only be so wide and parts cut off.  Keep in
mind that most programs do the text/data formatting for you, the PostScript
printer isn't putting the text/data on the paper where it wants to, the
text/data is positioned before it gets to the printer.  The printer just
places it on the paper were it has been told to.

So, for Landscape operation, you have to get your text/data processing
program to do it for you.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\        spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

hwt@bwdlh490.bnr.ca (07/21/90)

In article <617@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
><to default it to printing LANDSCAPE.  The files sent to it are always
>Sorry, it doesn't work that way.  Landscape is a description to indicate to
>humans that the output is rotated in such a way that the paper looks like
>it is turned on its side.
>
>So, for Landscape operation, you have to get your text/data processing
>program to do it for you.

He's right.  But if you really insist for some odd reason, you could work out
a sequence like:

8.5 72 mul 0 translate
90 rotate
8.5 11 div dup scale
/initmatrix {} def

and force everything to be scaled to fit landscape - but I don't recommend it
and you'd have to power cycle to get your printer sane again.

What makes landscape so attractive, anyway?
Or do you have some program that assumes it's talking to a line printer, and
some other program that only translates to landscape PostScript? if so,
prepend the first three fo those lines to each such file.

Disclaimer: I didn't test that code.  And I know that you shouldn't redefine
system operators.  Or assume North American paper sizes.

--
Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions | 21 years in Canada...
uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA 613-765-2337    |