[comp.lang.postscript] adjusting side bearings

jonathan@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jonathan Ball) (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul19.062246.5408@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn)
writes:
>woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:
>> The application is monospacing the proportional fonts...
>I wonder...is this the reason Woody has had trouble making it work?  (After
>all, monospacing a proportional font is such a terminally dumb idea that I
>suppose the interpreter might refuse to do it on principle.:-)

Actually, for a while I have been looking for a way to get proportional
fonts in monospacing, albeit for a special applcation.  I just want to print
out the lyrics to some music with the guitar chords over the appropriate
words.  However, if I use any font besides the very ugly non-proportional
one I have (Courier, what else?), the chords are proportionally spaced and
are useless for a guitar player.  So I could see other possible uses for
having *nice* or even *somewhat exotic* fonts still monospaced.

In fact, if you ever get anything working, Woody, could I get a copy? Thanks!

>   ...Programs, not politics.
I agree.  Although I also think you could work at not coming off sounding so
arrogant at times, Woody.

Jon
--
jonathan@jarthur.claremont.edu (134.173.4.42)

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul19.062246.5408@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:
>> ...After struggling for better than 9 months, and after
>> not getting replies to several inquires, I am now prepared to state that the
>> RED book appears to be FLAT WRONG when it says that the metrics entry can be
>> an array, that includes the left sidebearing and the width...

>OK, let me put out the flame for a moment.  Get your red book.  We're
>interested in changing metrics, so look that up in the index.  The first of
>three entries points us to the right place (the second entry), sec 5.7, p.
>99.  The three-point bullet list gives us three ways to set up a Metrics
>dictionary.  The example which follows shows the first way.  Go type it in
>as a PostScript program.  There's one piece on p. 99 and a couple more on
>p. 100.

Works for me, too.  In fact, it was fun typing in the example and trying
it out.  Pretty good work for nine minutes, Dick.  It took me 1 minute to
realize that page 99 in your book is really page 103 in my book.  Two
more minutes to type in the code, realize to add the "1 add dict" in place
of the "dict", and another couple of minutes to type in your little example
program.  And you did all that plus the research in nine minutes!

Anyway, the point you made is that it's easy, it's documented, and it works.
I just wanted to let you know that I found the same thing.  And without
adding to the flames too much, I have to agree that Woody's continued
attacks on Adobe are getting tiresome.

Just a thought, Woody:  as a matter of principle, why don't you just edit
out the word "Adobe" from your postings for the next 3 months, and try not
to use words like "FLAT WRONG" or other strong words.  Your point will
still be made (whatever the point might be), we'll get the implicit idea
that of course "Adobe in their *infinite* wisdom" is making your life
difficult again, but we won't have to read it and be offended.

Reminds me of an old saw of which I'm fond:

	"Positive is being mistaken at the top of your voice."

I think I got it from /usr/games/fortune, before they quit shipping it
on Unix distributions.

(Glenn) cvn

--
 Glenn Reid				PostScript/NeXT consultant
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		Independent Software Developer

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (07/22/90)

> >suppose the interpreter might refuse to do it on principle.:-)
>
> Actually, for a while I have been looking for a way to get proportional
> fonts in monospacing, albeit for a special applcation.  I just want to print
> out the lyrics to some music with the guitar chords over the appropriate
> words.  However, if I use any font besides the very ugly non-proportional
> In fact, if you ever get anything working, Woody, could I get a copy? Thanks!

Certainly.  Your working on that too, ah?  Me, I have 2 reasons, 1 is
to get my diablo emulator running faster, and the other, is to set
words and notation on fiddle tablature.  There are a variety of things
other than these 2.

Yes, I probably could come accross diffrently.  In this specific
case, I deliberatly after several drafts, created the post that I
did, to have the effect that it had, though I didn't expect *QUITE*
such a venomous response, I figured that it might just shake someone'
out of the tree.....8=}

Generaly, I don't do those sorts of things.  Anyway, I'll go
try this *AGAIN* (even though I have tried it several times, and
never gotten it to work.  I even posted the code once.  I'll go
dig it up again.
)

Cheers
Woody