[comp.lang.postscript] incompatibility of save/restore in version 51.9

haleden@newsigi.colorado.edu (Hal Eden) (07/24/90)

has this been kicked around?
if it has could someone send me a summary?

if not, here goes.

we have an HPIID with PostScript cartridge
that says it is Adobe PostScript version 51.9.

when pstext (part of the transcript package) sends
it's postscript goodies down to the printer, the printer
chokes (typecheck).

investigations found the problem to be the save operator
leaving something on the stack, obscuring a piece of data
which was readily available on other versions.

when did this change happen?

have there been patches to transcript software to fix
this?

thanks,

hal
haleden@boulder.colorado.edu

haleden@newsigi.colorado.edu (Hal Eden) (07/25/90)

To: snichols@adobe.com (Sherri Nichols)
Subject: Re: incompatibility of save/restore in version 51.9
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 15:42:04 MST
From: haleden

>> From::  snichols@adobe.com (Sherri Nichols)
>>

>> >when pstext (part of the transcript package) sends
>> >it's postscript goodies down to the printer, the printer
>> >chokes (typecheck).

>> Does the same problem occur when you use enscript?

>> Sherri Nichols
>> snichols@adobe.com

this is embarrassing.

my message was supposed to have been about the gsave/grestore
operators exhibiting this behaviour, not the save/restore.

this was something that had been sitting on my stack
for  over a month (you know, minor inconvenience, other things
more important), so i was sending this message from memory.

at the time we first installed the printer and were having this
problem, it was connected to a machine that has since gone to that
great computer room in the sky, so the printer has since been
rehosted.

when the problem was extant, i could tip to the printer
like so:
PS>gsave
PS>pstack
-savelevel-

which explained the problem we were having in pstext.pro
(the S command)

now, on the new host, things work as they should!

possible explanations:

1) we have a file that is downloaded persistently
   whenever a printer is powered on, perhaps the version
   of it on the old host had some garbage in it that did
   something like
   /gsave {save} def
   (seems like that would break a lot of things)

2) something else

3) i'm losing my mind....

sorry for the false alarm, and the waste of bandwidth on this
vast netland with a half-vast problem.
hal