[comp.lang.postscript] comp.lang.postscript

hayes@apollo.COM (Timothy Hayes) (03/21/89)

I am posting this for someone who doesn't have outgoing news feeds.

Greetings, all.  I have three quick questions.

1) Does anybody have or know about a free (or cheap) postscript pretty printer?
   We are attempting to do some work with the Macintosh Laserprep file,
   and I think figuring out what's going on would be a lot easier if the
   file contents could be put into a more canonical and easily readable form.

2) Has anyone owning a DEC LPS40 or Scriptprinter determined exactly what the
   compatibility problems are between a Laserwriter and the DEC printer?
   (e.g., for Macintosh jobs, what parts of the laserprep file don't work on the
   DEC implementation?)  In particular, do the DEC printers support the EEXEC
   operator in the same fashion as the Laserwriter, or are there subtle or
   not-so-subtle problems?  (i.e. will the EEXEC stuff from the Mac Laserprep
   file work?)

3) Does anybody have or know about a free (or cheap) diablo630-to-postscript
   translator?  We have (or can easily get) an ansi-to-postscript translator,
   but that's not quite what we need.

BITNET:  JWMANLY@AMHERT                 - John W. Manly
PHONE:   (413)-542-2526                   System Manager
                                          Amherst College

Tim Hayes
Apollo Computer
===============

tatar@boreas.crd.ge.com (robert tatar) (07/25/90)

In article <2440@speedy.mcnc.org> kerm@mcnc.org (Cary E. Burnette) writes:
>I am trying to do a survey on Color PS apps. and on tools
>that may translate other languages to Color PS (ie. HPGL
>to Color PS).

I am looking for a an HPGL to postscript converter.  It doesn't
have to handle color, but that would be nice. Please respond
via email.

We have written a sun raster to postscript converter (xcras2ps) that
converts sun raster files to color PS and also an XWD to color PS
converter (xwd2ps) for X11 window dumps.  These programs use the
colorimage operator.  We use them for making transparencies or crude
hardcopy plots of portions of our screens.  We can also paste the
postscript output into INTERLEAF documents as an EPS file.  They are
far from perfect, but with a little trouble, they are adequate for the
job.

:Bob
--
Robert C. Tatar