[comp.lang.postscript] ghostscript previews LaTeX again

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (07/24/90)

It might be of interest to note that GhostScript 1.4 is very (?) happy
with the output from James Clark's dvitops program, and makes a
perfectly respectable LaTeX previewer. I applied patches which Rich
Murphey supplied for dvips, so they may been necessary for dvitops as
well.

sebastian

kath@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William L. Kath) (07/25/90)

In article <11124.9007241444@manutius.ecs.soton.ac.uk>
        spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) writes:
>It might be of interest to note that GhostScript 1.4 is very (?) happy
>with the output from James Clark's dvitops program, and makes a
>perfectly respectable LaTeX previewer.

Does anyone know of a version of GhostScript 1.4 which has been
compiled for MS-DOS?  We have been using version 1.3 (available from
the Simtel archives) for several months to preview graphs rendered
in postscript before inclusion in LaTeX (PCTeX).  It would be nice to
be able to view them *after* including them, too, to check on the
placement without wasting paper.

Thanks for any help.

Bill Kath ----------------------- kath@delta.eecs.nwu.edu
             Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics
McCormick School of Engineering,  Northwestern University

rich@Rice.edu (Carey Richard Murphey) (07/26/90)

In article <10076@accuvax.nwu.edu> kath@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William L. Kath) writes:
   Does anyone know of a version of GhostScript 1.4 which has been
   compiled for MS-DOS?  We have been using version 1.3 (available from
   the Simtel archives) for several months to preview graphs rendered
   in postscript before inclusion in LaTeX (PCTeX).  It would be nice to
   be able to view them *after* including them, too, to check on the
   placement without wasting paper.

GhostScript 1.3 is also available from prep.ai.mit.edu.  The 1.4
version are in beta test, which means you should be prepared to invest
some time porting them to your platform and feeding patches back to
Peter Deutsch.  The more help he gets, the sooner 1.4 will be ready
for general consumption.  I'm hoping that previewing LaTeX with
included ESP figures will be enough to encourage people to do just
that.  Rich
--
Rich@Rice.edu