[comp.lang.postscript] Woody vs. PostScript again

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (07/26/90)

DISCLAIMER: I don't know woody except as a poster to this group ...

In article <9407@goofy.Apple.COM> kevina@apple.com (This space for rent) writes:
>Wood-man--
>Other net-types have tired of flaming your flames against PostScript, but

What about all this woody-bashing? ... time to stop that as well ... IMHO

I am a Postscript less_than_novice ... and have received HELPFUL replies here
from woody to ALL my questions (others answered some as well).

>Enough talk... we want action!
>In the long (but hopefully not too long) term, I eagerly await a full,
>portable, implementation of WoodyScript running on a variety of imaging
>engines.  I expect that it will feature:
>    -  <a few nifty sounding features>
>as well as an open specification of its patching operator (woodyexec).
>Until then, although far be it from me to be an apologist for Adobe, I'll
>stick with PostScript and compatibles.

Standards try and cover as many bases as possible, but one can never please
everybody ... besides, as far as I know, there is only one woody vs ?? people
@ Adobe.

... surely that would give woody 10+ years to come up with WoodyScript ...

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

stergios@portia.Stanford.EDU (stergios marinopoulos) (07/26/90)

Kill the messenger, kill the messenger, kill the messenger!

Its not the message thats the problem, but the messenger.  Hmnn, where
have I heard this before?

sm

mfox@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Martin Fox) (07/27/90)

> MOre to the point, I think that the contents of the imaging area
> should be generally available to be operated on.  There's no reason I can see
> why things like finding the current bounding box or cutting and pasting the
> image area shouldn't just work...

Assuming that there IS an imaging area. Let's see; on a 1200-dpi typesetter,
for a letter size page, that would only be, what, about 176K per square inch,
which would work out to, what, about 16 Megabytes? Of course, you'd want to
quadruple that for 2400-dpi. And then there's always larger page sizes...

Maybe there *is* a reason why Postscript hides its imaging area?

Martin Fox