[comp.lang.postscript] Binary printer fonts

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (07/24/90)

I'm confused.  I just got an "Adobe Type Library" and want to use this
sucker with a UNIX system.  I have added other fonts before (for devps)
but never an Adobe font.  The printer font is in a binary format (PFB
extension).  if I download it as is to the printer (along with a program
to print out the bounding box info, etc) it pukes.  My guess is that I
need to translate it to a "PFA" format.

Help.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385

geller@tfd.UUCP (David Geller) (07/27/90)

In article <929@ssc.UUCP>, fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
> I'm confused.  I just got an "Adobe Type Library" and want to use this
> sucker with a UNIX system.  I have added other fonts before (for devps)
> but never an Adobe font.  The printer font is in a binary format (PFB
> extension).  if I download it as is to the printer (along with a program
> to print out the bounding box info, etc) it pukes.  My guess is that I
> need to translate it to a "PFA" format.
>
> Help.
> --
> Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
>      uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385

Phil - pick up a copy of my program AAFP.EXE for DOS on the
Adobe forum under Compuserve (!go adobe). AAFP will convert
PC Adobe .PFB files to .PFA so you can load them to your
printers from UNIX or whatever system you like. Remember to
set binary mode if you use ftp to move the files to UNIX. Rcp
will do it no problem... AAFP  can handle wild cards and will
also allow you to specify that the files to be created have
the serverdict stuff that keeps the fonts in the printers
memory between jobs.

If you can't get to compuserve drop me note via mail and I'll
send you the code. It's only 16K or so.

David Geller
Electric Logic, Inc.
2025 Eye St., NW Suite 220