[comp.lang.postscript] psmagic

ghenniga@nmsu.edu (Gary Hennigan) (07/27/90)

I just downloaded a copy of PSMAGIC from terminator and think that it
is a great product! I can print out my .EPS files on almost any
dot-matrix with exact precision, however, when I try to print out a
full document, including the DEMO1.PS file that came with it I get an
error that basically says it doesn't understand the PS command "get".
This is very annoying since almost every PS file has this command in
it.

   Am I the only one to receive this error? Does anyone know the
cause? I would greatly appreciate any ideas and any comments from
others who have used and/or registered the product. I just wish they
had a version that would output to a Picture file like a .PCX. Oh
Well, it's still a great idea and if I figure out the problem I will
gladly register my demo copy.

Please e-mail if possible and thanks for any assistance
--
Gary Hennigan
+  e-mail: ghenniga@NMSU.Edu, henninsf@maxwel.NMSU.Edu                      +

phillips@tegra.COM (Steve Phillips) (07/28/90)

In article <GHENNIGA.90Jul26183904@tesla.nmsu.edu> ghenniga@nmsu.edu (Gary Hennigan) writes:

>I just downloaded a copy of PSMAGIC from terminator and think that it
>is a great product! I can print out my .EPS files on almost any
>dot-matrix with exact precision, however, when I try to print out a
>full document, including the DEMO1.PS file that came with it I get an
>error that basically says it doesn't understand the PS command "get".
>This is very annoying since almost every PS file has this command in
>it.

From your message, it sounds like you're getting the PostScript error
"Error: UNDEFINED; OffendingCommand get."  This error usually means
that you're trying to get an unknown keyword from a dictionary, not
that the PostScript interpreter doesn't understand the word "get."
For example, if I say

	"userdict /hithere get"

I'll get an UNDEFINED error unless someone has defined a keyword named
"hithere" in userdict.

In order to solve your problem, you need to figure out what keyword
the program is trying to get from the dictionary.  This will probably
give you a clue to what's really going wrong.  Try adding the following
line to the start of your file:

	/get { (get: ) print dup == get } bind def

and see what output you're getting from PostScript.  This will print out
the last argument passed to the get operator, which will be the keyword
when you're doing a get from a dictionary.

Hope this helps.  Send me mail if I can help out any further...

- Steve
Steve Phillips                                         Tegra-Varityper, Inc.
tegra!phillips@uunet.com                               Billerica, MA

bb@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Brian Bartholomew) (07/30/90)

Actually, the correct description of the psmagic problem, is that
whoever archived it forgot the files in the 4 subdirectories under
the package's root.  Therefore, when you try to use what is
provided for ftp from terminator.cc.umich.edu, it is very broken.

I have sent an appropriate mail message to root at that machine,
and I am hoping that a complete version made be made available.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo."
Brian Bartholomew	UUCP:       ...gatech!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!bb
University of Florida	Internet:   bb@beach.cis.ufl.edu