[comp.lang.postscript] macps

cape@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Robert Cape) (02/17/90)

I was wondering if some kind soul who has the sources to macps would email
a copy of them to me. I understand that they are rumored to be at simtel,
but unfortunately, I am not able to ftp (just uucp).

Thanks for your help,

Bob

r.cape@stpaul.ncr.com

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (03/09/90)

Has anyone been able to install macps successfully?  I seem to be
having some problems printing to both an Imagen and a NeXT computer.
I've done the following:

1) Uploaded a LaserPrep file generated by printing a blank document
   and pressing CMD-K.
2) "fixed it" with prepfix:
   prepfix Postscript0 >ProcSet/LaserPrep6.0
3) Uploaded a postscript file generated by CMD-F.
4) macps Postscript1 >fixedfile.ps
5) lpr fixedfile.ps

Unfortunately printing the file to the Imagen generates postscript
errors.  To the NeXT box it changes the document name to Apple Dictionary
and seems to hang indefinitely.

Any help?

Thanks --

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | DISCLAIMER: I'm graduating and looking for
Consultant                 |             a job, so I'll stand by my words.

zben@umd5.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (03/09/90)

In article <20161@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
(Ken Hancock) writes:

> Has anyone been able to install macps successfully?  I seem to be
> having some problems printing to both an Imagen and a NeXT computer.
                                           ^^^^^^
> Unfortunately printing the file to the Imagen generates postscript errors.
                                         ^^^^^^

What I am about to say is based on one attempt to make an Imagen printer work,
and I would appreciate being corrected if somebody has better knowlege of what
is going on...

Before I knew about macps and was hacking the prolog files on my own, I tried
to help somebody here in Maryland (Hi, Chris!) make Mac stuff print on his
Imagen.  I sent him several copies of my hacked-up 5.2 and 6.0 files,
and then told him about macps.  He just could not seem to make it work.

Sometime later I learned from a net posting that the Imagen postscript
emulator is not an official licensed Adobe intepreter but one of the
re-engineered ones that people are now calling "clones".

Rather than do a full Postscript emulation, it seems that Imagen instead
rewrote the Macintosh prolog to use their primitive set, and a Macintosh
compatable prolog is installed on every Imagen Postscript printer!  You
just have to know how to call it...

The bad news is that they did this for 5.2 printing, and this is not
compatable with 6.0 Macintosh command-f files.

As far as I know there is no reason to use Macintosh 6.0 printing unless
you have a color printer.

I do not know if an Imagen-compatable 6.0 prolog has been written, or if
it is available anywhere on the net.

--

"It's all about Power, it's all about Control
 All the rest is lies for the credulous"

mark@imagen.UUCP (Mark Peek) (03/10/90)

In article <6232@umd5.umd.edu>, zben@umd5.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) writes:
> In article <20161@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
> (Ken Hancock) writes:
>
> > Has anyone been able to install macps successfully?  I seem to be
> > having some problems printing to both an Imagen and a NeXT computer.
>                                            ^^^^^^
> > Unfortunately printing the file to the Imagen generates postscript errors.
>                                          ^^^^^^
>
> What I am about to say is based on one attempt to make an Imagen printer work,
> and I would appreciate being corrected if somebody has better knowlege of what
> is going on...
>
> Sometime later I learned from a net posting that the Imagen postscript
> emulator is not an official licensed Adobe intepreter but one of the
> re-engineered ones that people are now calling "clones".
>
> Rather than do a full Postscript emulation, it seems that Imagen instead
> rewrote the Macintosh prolog to use their primitive set, and a Macintosh
> compatable prolog is installed on every Imagen Postscript printer!  You
> just have to know how to call it...

Well...
   I just compiled macps 2.2 on my SparcStation. I then uploaded a 6.0
laserprep file and a MicroSoft Word print file using NCSA Telnet. I
followed the instructions included with macps. I then sent the resulting
file to an Imagen ImageServer 7320 running TURBO UltraScript 4.1T Rev. B.
It printed without any problems. Macps automatically edits the laserprep
file which Imagen had done by hand. The pieces that are edited are
eexec/cexec sections and the statusdict operator setdefaulttimeouts. Note:
eexec/cexec are NOT documented in the red book (yes, Glenn, the "PostScript
Red book" :) ). The statusdict operators are NOT part of the language, they
describe an implementation specific feature. We probably should have set
up a compatible dictionary but since we have other methods to timeout/end
a job, it was not deemed necessary. If there are further problems with
macps/prepfix, please call Imagen Technical Support at (408) 986-9400. If
they do not know about macps, tell them to talk to me. It would be helpful
to know version of the printer software and whether any other LaserPrep
files have been run on the system. Also, the error message produced would
be of use.

   I think I'll bow out of a discussion of PostScript clones due to the
recent postings. I will say that our interpreter was written from scratch
and that we leveraged off of the work done for DDL. We feel we have a very
robust and complete interpreter. There will always be an epsilon value
where we differ from Adobe PostScript but we are striving to approach 0.
Remember, just as Unix systems are not all the same, neither are
PostScript (the language) printers. You must choose the printer (or
Unix system) that meets your price/performance/functionality
specifications. Our company (QMS) provides both Adobe PostScript and
Imagen UltraScript printers and both sell quite well.

     Mark

----

Name:	Mark Peek
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	mark@imagen.com or ...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!mark

Note:
   PostScript is a registered trademark of Adobe systems.
   Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T.

battle@cs.utk.edu (David Battle) (07/31/90)

I have here a little program called macps which is used to print mac-generated
postscript files from unix.  I have two questions.

    What is the email address of the developer (I presume somewhere in
    the University of California system?)?

    Is there a version of this program which runs on VAX/VMS?

				Thanks,
					David L. Battle
                                        battle@utkux1.utk.edu