[comp.lang.postscript] where to buy Transcript?

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (07/26/90)

We want to do *roff output from Suns to a PostScript printer, and
Transcript seems like the appropriate tool for the job.

I have a quote for the stuff from Sun, but I hear that some folks buy
it directly from Adobe, possibly getting source and a site license for
the same price as Sun's SPARC binary-only distribution.  I called
Adobe(*) to ask about it, but nobody I talked to there has ever heard
of Transcript, let alone running it on a Sun.

Can anyone give me pointers to someone who will sell me Transcript?
Or am I even asking for the correct name and the correct thing?

(*) The NIC's whois entry for adobe.com lists a number for their
administrative and zone contacts that has been disconnected.  I called
their technical contact, Andy Shore, who helpfully forwarded me to the
switchboard.

jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph Jackson) (07/27/90)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.lang.postscript: 25-Jul-90 where to buy
Transcript? Bob Sutterfield@MorningS (800)

> We want to do *roff output from Suns to a PostScript printer, and
> Transcript seems like the appropriate tool for the job.

> Can anyone give me pointers to someone who will sell me Transcript?
> Or am I even asking for the correct name and the correct thing?

I just looked into buying an update to our TranScript package, so I have
the information right here.  Try calling Karen Walles at Adobe, (415)
962-4972.  Long ago we purchased a source code site licence for all of
Carnegie Mellon University.  That package includes some level of phone
support and update tapes for the cost of distribution.

Joe Jackson
Distributed Workstation Services
Carnegie Mellon University

Internet:	jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet:	jj1h+@ANDREW
AT&Tnet:	(412) 268-8799

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (07/30/90)

In article <BOB.90Jul25152503@volitans.MorningStar.Com> bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:

   I called Adobe to ask about it, but nobody I talked to there has
   ever heard of Transcript, let alone running it on a Sun.

Yes, Adobe are the right folks.  A couple of hours after I posted my
query, Victoria Brown called back and put me in touch with Karen
Walles, who is quite the right sales person to talk to about
Transcript.

Apparently I've caused some waves at Adobe, because my article arrived
there some hours after we talked, making it sound as if perhaps I were
dissatisfied with Adobe or with Karen or some other person there, or
as if perhaps I had amnesia and forgot our very pleasant conversation
and the helpful information she provided.  Sometimes network
propagation time introduces socially inconvenient asynchrony.

Yes, Adobe has certainly heard of Transcript, Karen is quite
knowledgeable and helpful, and my problem is resolved.  I'm impressed
with the efforts expended by various management and technical folks
there to make sure I was taken care of - I've received a couple of
telephone calls and several mail messages.  And I certainly wouldn't
want to malign their reputation in such a forum as this.

There, are all the feathers unruffled, and is Karen out of trouble? :-)

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (07/31/90)

<
<I have a quote for the stuff from Sun, but I hear that some folks buy
<it directly from Adobe, possibly getting source and a site license for
<the same price as Sun's SPARC binary-only distribution.  I called
<Adobe(*) to ask about it, but nobody I talked to there has ever heard
<of Transcript, let alone running it on a Sun.

Try:

Adobe Systems Inc
1585 Charleston Rd
PO Box 7900
Mountain View, CA  94309-7900

Yes, you can get binary and or source.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\        spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown