[comp.lang.postscript] Cartridge for Laser Jet with Postscript firmware

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) (07/31/90)

Could someone please post the addresses of companies that sell
cartridges for HP Laser Jet printers.  These cartridges should have a
Postscript interpreter.  I heard of their existence in this newsgroup a
few months ago, and now I'd like to buy one.

How come an interpreter doesn't run in software?  I know it would be
slow, but how slow?  Some people can put up with slowness.  Or is it
due to legal reasons?
--
                                        Tom Reingold
                                        tr@samadams.princeton.edu

In article <1512@rossignol.Princeton.EDU> tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) writes:
>How come an interpreter doesn't run in software?  I know it would be
>slow, but how slow?  Some people can put up with slowness.  Or is it
>due to legal reasons?

Such things do exist, but (a) a cartridge only needs to come in one
version, rather than one per host, and (b) a cartridge is a lot harder
to make unauthorized copies of.

Actually, the cartridge contains software, to run on the printer's own
CPU, but (a) and (b) remain valid.
--
The 486 is to a modern CPU as a Jules  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Verne reprint is to a modern SF novel. |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry