[comp.lang.postscript] new uses for old printers

callahan@mimsy.umd.edu (Jack Callahan) (08/01/90)

I'm looking for fonts for the PSMAGIC package.  PSMAGIC
prints PostScript files on dot matrix printers.  It actually
works for PS graphics, but I have no fonts for the package.
Does anyone kow where I can find at least one?

Thanks. Signed,

Too cheap and poor to buy a laser printer for home.

p.s. I know about registering and receiving more fonts,
     but I'm just interested in testing the package out
     for now.
--
Jack Callahan - callahan@brillig.umd.edu
Computer Science Department

crtb@helix.nih.gov (Chuck Bacon) (08/03/90)

In article <25821@mimsy.umd.edu> callahan@mimsy.umd.edu (Jack Callahan) writes:
>I'm looking for fonts for the PSMAGIC package.  PSMAGIC
>prints PostScript files on dot matrix printers.  It actually
>works for PS graphics, but I have no fonts for the package.
Give thanks to Paul Haeberli (paul@manray.asd.sgi.com) and Seth
Teller of Silicon Graphics!  They may be the first ever to
create and release to the P.D. a reasonably useful font.
Although these two fonts both look like (and were automatically
generated by scanning) hand lettering, they are infinitely
better looking than Ghostscript's hated Uglyfont!  They were
posted in two articles in comp.lang.postscript about July 10.
I've adopted them for use with Ghostscript, and wonder if others
have had experience in other environments.

callahan@mimsy.umd.edu (Jack Callahan) (08/03/90)

In article <290@nih-csl.nih.gov> crtb@helix.nih.gov (Chuck Bacon) writes:
>I've adopted them for use with Ghostscript, and wonder if others
>have had experience in other environments.

Shortly after posting my question, I took the messenger, haeberli, and
dijkstra fonts and successfully printed them with the tryfont.ps
program on my Panasonic KXP1091 printer using PSMAGIC!  It helped to
be familiar with PostScript, but the few changes were very trivial.
I was really surprised to see my little ol' printer turn backflips
after doing only jumping jacks for most of its electronic life.

They weren't kidding, however, when they said "it's slow" ...

BCNU,

-- jack