[comp.lang.postscript] Multiple Program Versions -- how does the system choose?

stiber@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Michael D Stiber) (08/03/90)

I am interested in having two versions of the same program on a hard
disk.  However, when I open a document, I want the old version of the
program to run.  The system normally will run the later version.  What
algorithm and information does the system use to decide this?
--
			    Michael Stiber
   stiber@cs.ucla.edu                  UCLA Computer Science Dept.

mneerach@b.inf.ethz.ch (Matthias Ulrich Neeracher) (08/06/90)

In article <37649@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> stiber@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Michael D Stiber) writes:
>I am interested in having two versions of the same program on a hard
>disk.  However, when I open a document, I want the old version of the
>program to run.  The system normally will run the later version.  What
>algorithm and information does the system use to decide this?

I don't remember where I read this, but I think it was a usually well
informed source.

The system keeps a desktop file (or desktop database on newer systems) where
for every creator (read this as "for every distinct application" if you
don't know what a creator is) the location of the application is kept. This
is updated whenever you copy or move (?? I'm not 100% sure of this) the
application. So you're right, in general, the latest version is ran.

Matthias

-----
Matthias Neeracher                                   mneerach@c.inf.ethz.ch
  "I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone,
   but they've always worked for me" -- Hunter S. Thompson

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (08/06/90)

In article <175@neptune.inf.ethz.ch> mneerach@b.inf.ethz.ch (Matthias Ulrich Neeracher) writes:
>In article <37649@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> stiber@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Michael D Stiber) writes:
>>I am interested in having two versions of the same program on a hard
>>disk.  However, when I open a document, I want the old version of the
>>program to run.  The system normally will run the later version.  What
>>algorithm and information does the system use to decide this?
>
>I don't remember where I read this, but I think it was a usually well
>informed source.
>
>The system keeps a desktop file (or desktop database on newer systems) where
>for every creator (read this as "for every distinct application" if you
>don't know what a creator is) the location of the application is kept. This
>is updated whenever you copy or move (?? I'm not 100% sure of this) the
>application. So you're right, in general, the latest version is ran.

You're pretty much right: whatever applications were last copied or moved
get put at the top of the desktop database.  If there are multiple creators
of a document (e.g., five copies of Microsoft Word) on a disk, whichever
one is at the top of the desktop file is run when you double-click the
document.  If you want to make one particular copy of an application be
launched, then, you should copy it or move it somewhere.

--

David Walton		Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }