[comp.lang.postscript] Help: Overriding DIPS on LaserWriter IINTX

whiteaj@clutx.clarkson.edu (Andrew White) (08/08/90)

I am using both a Mac and an IBM AT with my LaserWriter IINTX, and the
only way to use both (without making the AT support LocalTalk) is to
switch dip switch #2 back and forth, up for LocalTalk and down for RS-
232.  The manual mentions (on page 125, I believe) that these switches
can be set by "downloading a PostScript program".  I take that to mean
that PostScript can set the switches.  The manual does not, however,
mention *how* to do this.

Anyone have any suggestions?

    /| | |     /   :: Chemistry Department, Lab 128C
   / | | | /| /    :: Clarkson University            (315) 268-6626
  /__| | |/ |/     :: Potsdam, NY  13699-5810   whiteaj@clutx.clarkson.edu
    __/  ==========::=====================================================

dall@plains.UUCP (Brian Dall) (08/08/90)

In article <1990Aug7.225900.22721@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> whiteaj@clutx.clarkson.edu (Andrew White) writes:
>I am using both a Mac and an IBM AT with my LaserWriter IINTX, and the
>only way to use both (without making the AT support LocalTalk) is to
>switch dip switch #2 back and forth, up for LocalTalk and down for RS-
>232.  The manual mentions (on page 125, I believe) that these switches
>can be set by "downloading a PostScript program".  I take that to mean
>that PostScript can set the switches.  The manual does not, however,
>mention *how* to do this.
>
>Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't have my red book handy, but this can be set using the setsccbatch
commands, if I recall correctly.  Darn, I wish I hadn't left it at work.
Setting the port is a bit messy, because it requires an exitserver and
after you set it, it "doesn't listen" to the port that was sending the
program to change the port.  Usually you need to send an EOF (ctrl-D, from
the serial port) from the new device.  It is similar to setting the speed
from 9600 to 19200 bps and back again from the serial port.  Send the
program to change the speed, then change the speed of your comm program
and ctrl-D to end the program.  If you send anything after the line of
code that changes the speed, you get gibberish and the printer responds
with an error and "ingnoring until end of file."

Also, if you are leaving the Mac connected to the printer, you may need
to switch both dip 1 and 2.  The NTX sees the connector for appletalk
as a serial connector as well, and will lock on to it if the mac
remains connected and ignore the 25-pin RS-232 port.

Good Luck,

-Brian Dall
dall@plains.NoDak.edu

rickc@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Rick Clements) (08/09/90)

In article <5431@plains.UUCP> dall@plains.UUCP (Brian Dall) writes:
}I don't have my red book handy, but this can be set using the setsccbatch
}commands, if I recall correctly.  Darn, I wish I hadn't left it at work.
}Setting the port is a bit messy, because it requires an exitserver and
}after you set it, it "doesn't listen" to the port that was sending the
}program to change the port.  Usually you need to send an EOF (ctrl-D, from
}the serial port) from the new device.  It is similar to setting the speed
}from 9600 to 19200 bps and back again from the serial port.  Send the
}program to change the speed, then change the speed of your comm program
}and ctrl-D to end the program.  If you send anything after the line of
}code that changes the speed, you get gibberish and the printer responds
}with an error and "ingnoring until end of file."

setsccbatch doesn't change the port you are using.  It will change the
parameters for a port you're not using.  (Ex. you can set the serial parameters
from the parallel port.)

It doesn't require any special handling of EOF.  The red book says the change
in parameters don't take effect until it sees an EOF.  I have played enough
with the LaserWriter to know it behaves this way.  I think it flushes its
transmit buffer before it changes the parameters also.

I don't know of any way to over ride the switch settings.  But, I don't
worry about it because the printer I use takes data from all three ports
simultaneously.

--
Rick Clements (RickC@pogo.WV.TEK.COM)

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug7.225900.22721@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, whiteaj@clutx.clarkson.edu (Andrew White) writes:
> I am using both a Mac and an IBM AT with my LaserWriter IINTX, and the
> can be set by "downloading a PostScript program".  I take that to mean
> that PostScript can set the switches.  The manual does not, however,

Don Lancaster published a note in a fairly recent computer shopper, to the
effect that if you hook a serial port up, and an apple talk port up (one
on the 25 pin channel), the laser would work on whichever became active.
That is, you could send a job over the serial, and if Apple talk was not
working at the time i.e. it was idle, the laser would latch onto the
serial port until that job was done.  This means that you have to do
absolutly nothing.  Don freely publishes his phone number in the
Computer Shopper (or has been, until Ziff Davis bought it, and started
messing around with him.8(::::   )  his number is
602-428-4073.  He can tell you how to do it.  He feilds 60-80 calls
a day, and is always helpful.  As far as changing it, there is
a command  sethardwareiomode. 2 is for appletalk, 0 is for 232,
2 sethardwareiomode.  This has to be changed via an exit from the
serverloop.

Cheers
Woody

jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph Jackson) (08/10/90)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.lang.postscript: 8-Aug-90 Re: Help:
Overriding DIPS o.. Rick Clements@pogo.WV.TE (1520)

> setsccbatch doesn't change the port you are using.  It will change the
parameters for a port you're not using.  (Ex. you can set the serial
> parameters from the parallel port.)

I have code which changes the serial port's baud rate.  I send it to the
printer via the said serial port and it works quite nicely.  It confuses
my spooler software since there is some amount of page count discussion
after every job and it occurs at the wrong speed, but that's nothing
that a spooler restart won't fix.

Joe Jackson
Distributed Workstation Services
Carnegie Mellon University