[comp.lang.postscript] PostScript Screen Previewers

royster@unccvax.uncc.edu (David Royster) (08/08/90)

I am certain that I have seen references to PostScript previewers before, but
as with most of us, it didn't affect me until now. I need to have some
recommendations about all available PostScript screen previewers that run on
the MSDOS/PCDOS/??DOS platform. Any information about commercial or public
domain previewers will be most happily accepted.

I know of GhostScript and have heard only little about PSMagic. Where is the
latter available for anonymous ftp? Also, I would like to hear of people's
experiences with these programs and others. Did you like the program? Was it
easy to use? Easy to install? Take only 75MB of your 30MB hard disk? Did it
live up to the advertising?

I will summarize for the net.

dcroyster

--
David C. Royster               royster@unccvax.uncc.edu (128.143.109.1)
Mathematics Department         fma00dcr@unccvm.bitnet

terry@wolves.uucp (Terry L Parker) (08/09/90)

Goscript isn't actually a screen previewer, it is a per-processor which takes Postscript files as input and prints them on non-postscript printers (dot matrix printers, laser printers, etc...).

I too am very much interested in a postscript screen previewer.  If you find
one (especially a "free" one), please let me know.

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug9.012522.3101@wolves.uucp> terry@wolves.uucp (Terry L Parker) writes:
>Goscript isn't actually a screen previewer, it is a per-processor which
>takes Postscript files as input and prints them on non-postscript
> printers (dot matrix printers, laser printers, etc...).

(to the above poster: please learn to put carriage returns at the end of
lines...)

Goscript does do "screen preview".  You can't read it, all you can do is see
where things go on a page, but do it it does. It also outputs files
that CAN be used for a real screen preview if you write a little program
to do it.

Doug MCDonald

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug9.012522.3101@wolves.uucp> terry@wolves.uucp (Terry L Parker) writes:
>Goscript isn't actually a screen previewer, it is a per-processor which takes
>Postscript files as input and prints them on non-postscript printers (dot
>matrix printers, laser printers, etc...).

First, a general comment -- many readers have software that will chop
off long lines without carriage returns, making messages like yours
unreadable. Please put carriage returns at the normal line break
points, rather than assuming that the software will do it for
everybody.

GoScript isn't a pre-processor; it's a complete (well, except that
they haven't implemented the 'setscreen' operator yet) interpreter for
PostScript. It does precisely the same thing that the PostScript
interpreter built into a Laserwriter does -- takes PostScript input
and turns it into a raster image that can be pumped directly to the
print engine.

GoScript 3.0 has a number of different output drivers; when it is
configured, you specify what type of display you have, and the '/w'
flag causes the output to be displayed on the screen. Another flag
will let you use an output driver different from the normal printer
driver to either drive a different printer or output TIFF or PCX
files.

                                               | "The three most dangerous
 Sean Malloy                                   | things in the world are a
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center  | programmer with a soldering
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                      | iron, a hardware type with a
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                         | program patch, and a user
                                               | with an idea."

cosc4fp@jetson.uh.edu (08/10/90)

How can one acquire g script?  A PostScrit previewer is what I am looking for.

DLAgdd

geller@tfd.UUCP (David Geller) (08/11/90)

I've been using an IBM 6000/320 for several months. It has
an Adobe PostScript engine for X Windows and works great.
I use it preview PostScript code (in color). I'm thinking
about converting my firms Windows 3.0-based PS spooler
(not-yet announced) to the 6000 platform. But for those
people looking for a good previewer - look to the IBM
6000 series. It's got real-Adobe display PostScript and
runs like a bat out of... It our UNIX workstation of
choice!

David Geller
Electric Logic, Inc.
Washington, DC