[comp.lang.postscript] PostScript Level II thoughts

ouij@xurilka.UUCP (exhausted jazz surfer) (08/11/90)

I have digested whatever snippets of level II information
that exist. There is a decent mention in the August Byte
but Adobe sends out a press kit that is rather informative.

what I find ironic is the addition of a *form*.
A programmer can design a form comprimised of the usual
PostScript graphics, but now the bitmap is kept around and
on the subsequent uses of the form, instead of rendering
the postscript code, the bitmap is copied.
Which means that if your print job has something
in common across all the pages, PostScript
only has to sweat once, the rest it copies the bitmap.

This is a valuable addition since many people have run
into the situation where having a forms feature would
speed up printing.
However, I find it ironic that , PostScript, a language
for device independance, now has commands which control
and imply bitmaps.  (There is a similar additional feature
known as a *pattern* which lets the user define a pattern tile).
Patterns are even cached.

However, I think that Adobe should go one step further
in the next revision  of PostScript.  They should allow
a programmer primitives to manipulate bitmaps.
There has been a lot of research lately into mathematics
on bitmaps which make for interesting graphics.
It would provide an extra tool in the
programmers toolkit in creating graphics
without taking anything from the PostScript imaging model.

Bill Gates, cited that this was one of the fundamental
flaws with PostScript (no commands to play with bitmaps)
and that a *real* standard (sarcasm mode) TrueImage
would deal with such *vital* operators.  This is
complete rubbish in my opinion since only people
who haven't been exposed to an imaging model a la
PostScript still thing in terms of bitmaps (as is
witnessed in this news group by the floods of
requests on how to generate bitmaps from PostScript code).

TrueImage and TrueType must die for it's aprroach is
wrong. a sort of mass market ``hey, we can do better
since we are a bigger crowd. none of that
complicated PostScript stuff for us'' attitude and I think this
will happen naturually. TrueType and TrueImage is
still vapourware and probably will remain
that way when the RED book comes out in November.

However, an experimental approach as I have described would
not detract from the imaging model but rather to
enhance.
I don't mean to start a flame fest, but am
fishing for comments on this approach.

Level II looks good.
if there is enough interest for level II info,
I can summarize to the net.  what worries me
is that Level II and Level I are somewhat incompatible.
And I have read conflicting reports as to how
compatible they will be.

The next 18 months should provide to be interesting in
the PostScript community dealing with drivers that only
generate Level II code or not being able to get
a level II printer. This is the beautiful thing about
software trade, it keeps us programmers busy :-)

Ouij
Dada Indugu Inc.

			``And love,
			  a burnt match skating a urinal''
				--Hart Crane

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (08/15/90)

In article <154@xurilka.UUCP> ouij@xurilka.UUCP (exhausted jazz surfer) writes:
>Level II looks good.
>if there is enough interest for level II info,
>I can summarize to the net.  what worries me
>is that Level II and Level I are somewhat incompatible.
>And I have read conflicting reports as to how
>compatible they will be.

I think this would be an excellent discussion.  Summarize away.

As for compatibility, there are (of course) things you can do
in Level II that you can't do in Level I, but there's nothing
in Level I that you can't do in Level II.  Most of the new stuff
can be emulated on an old interpreter, but you can't implement
something like "undef" very easily in Level I PostScript :-)

--
 Glenn Reid				PostScript/NeXT consultant
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		Independent Software Developer