[comp.lang.postscript] AppleDict

jonabbey@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) (08/15/90)

As I got useful results from my last question, I thought I'd repeat my
perfidy and ask if there might be an annotation available for Apple's
AppleDict PostScript dictionary?

Or is this one of the trials that all LaserWriter programmers must endure
on their own? 8-)

Jonathan Abbey (512) 472-2052        \                           (512) 835-3081
jonabbey@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu           \        broccol@csdfx8a.arlut.utexas.edu
The University of Texas at Austin      \          Applied Research Laboratories

zben@umd5.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (08/16/90)

In article <36054@ut-emx.UUCP> jonabbey@walt.cc.utexas.edu
(Jonathan Abbey) writes:

> ... if there might be an annotation available for Apple's
> AppleDict PostScript dictionary?

There are two commented version of VERY old LaserPrep files on the BMUG CD.
I have versions of 5.2 (68) and 6.0 (70) that I manually edited to work with
non-Apple printers and Apple printers on non-localtalk connections that I
did some commenting on as a sideline, but the comments are only as good as my
reverse engineering (and a lot of the comments end in question marks...)

Ed Moy out at Berkeley sources a package called MacPS that contains two
programs.  The first one is given a command-k file, run once, and produces a
modified file.  The second one is designed to be a unix print queue filter and
inserts the appropriate version of the modified file on the fly.  If your
interest is just turnkey this might be your best bet.  MacPS is on deposit
in the sumex archive.

There is supposedly a "non-apple-laser-prep" file on deposit at sumex but I
haven't checked it to see if it has been commented.

--
Ben Cranston <zben@umd2.umd.edu>
A determined iconoclast, it would be better to assume the opinion expressed

orthlieb@adobe.COM (Carl Orthlieb) (08/17/90)

	(Jonathan Abbey) writes:
>As I got useful results from my last question, I thought I'd repeat my
>perfidy and ask if there might be an annotation available for Apple's
>AppleDict PostScript dictionary?
>
>Or is this one of the trials that all LaserWriter programmers must endure
>on their own? 8-)

I'm just curious why you are trying to unravel the LaserPrep file.

The reason I mention this is that at Adobe we are writing a new PostScript
printer driver for the Macintosh. If you are planning on figuring out how
LaserPrep does certain things so you can leverage off of them or 'fix'
them, be aware that our driver will NOT have anything much like the structure
of Apple's driver (from the PostScript point of view) - that's the good
news. The bad news is that if you rely on quirks in LaserPrep you make our
job MUCH more difficult. Just thought I'd mention it...

Thanks, Carl 8-)