[comp.lang.postscript] laser printers and heavy paper

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (08/17/90)

I have not had particularly good luck feeding thick paper of any
sort through my LaserWriter II NTX (Apple printer).  Anything thicker
than basic 20# bond seems to get stuck.

I don't expect to be able to put cardboard through the printer, but
I'd like to be able to feed postcards through, for example, or some
cover stock of some sort.  Has anyone had luck with this?  Is there
any kind of adjustment that can be made to the printer to loosen its
constraints on paper thickness?

The paper always seems to jam as it gets to the fuser, if that helps.
It's not an exit jam, and the imaging is almost always accomplished
by the time it jams.  But it's usually 100% reproducible (the jam,
that is).

Thanks for any help.  Sorry to post to this newsgroup, but I have a
pretty limited newsfeed, and I don't get comp.laser-printers.jams or
whatever the appropriate group might be.

Thanks,
 Glenn

--
 Glenn Reid				PostScript/NeXT consultant
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		Independent Software Developer

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (08/18/90)

In article <245@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:

> I have not had particularly good luck feeding thick paper of any
> sort through my LaserWriter II NTX (Apple printer).  Anything thicker
> than basic 20# bond seems to get stuck.
>
> I don't expect to be able to put cardboard through the printer, but

I have a SX engine based printer, and had at one time, a CX based engine.
I have for years, printed on card stock with either engine, (that is how
I made business cards until I got a small photocopier that works better)

at any rate, you can generaly run 110 lb cardstock through the laser with
no problem.  YOU MUST MANUAL FEED it, however.  I am not sure about the
machanical adjustment you are looking for.  I would suggest contacting
HP and getting a copy of the service manual for the appropriate printer
engine.  They have both CX and SX manuals.  These are complete service
manuals, with all adjustments etc etc.  Monkeying around with the
mechanical adjustments is tricky.

In either case (sx/cx) the key is to provide a straight paper path.
That is automatic on the CX, but on the SX engines, you have to open
a little door like tray, and fold it down.  The major jamming problem
comes with you attempt to negotiate the curl that puts the paper upside
down on top of the SX printers.  The only other thing to remember is that
your paper should be dry, and not damp.  If you live in a high humidity
area, it would be advisable to keep the cardstock in a garbage bag with
one of those moisture absorbing packets.  The cardstock is a tad on
the thick side for you to get a really good bond (that is why I use
a BD-3110 copier from toshiba.  It does DEEP BLACK FILLS, and the
toner STICKS.  The fusing roller temprature is not quite as high on
lasers, so the thickness of the stock makes a big diffrence.  There is
a way to increase the temprature (an adjustment) but if you get it to
hot, then you have problems the other way with lighter paper.
Don't even think about trying to run TEXTURED business card stock
or 90 lb/110 lb textured paper through the laser.  The paper will go
through fine, but if it is say a linen weave style paper, the toneer
WILL NOT BE FUSED down in the "valleys" of the texture.

Hope this helps,
Cheers
woody

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (08/19/90)

In article <1485@chinacat.Unicom.COM> woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @
>Don't even think about trying to run TEXTURED business card stock
>or 90 lb/110 lb textured paper through the laser.  The paper will go
>through fine, but if it is say a linen weave style paper, the toneer
>WILL NOT BE FUSED down in the "valleys" of the texture.

Running ANY textured paper can ba a problem, depending how aggressive the
texture pattern is.  The output may (usually does) look very good.  But,
when the paper is stressed the unfused toner starts flaking & popping off
the paper.  This is particularly embarassing when you make a nice resume,
fold it, mail it, and your prospective employer gets a resume with words
missing, characters damaged, and black dandriff.  When in doubt, I try the
smallest characters (for text) I intend to use, then fold the paper over the
character string.  If it survives a folding and unfolding, then it should
be ok.  You also MAY go ahead and use it anyway, if you are carefull to line
up your folds, etc so they don't fall over the  fragile output.
al

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (08/20/90)

> ... the unfused toner starts flaking and popping off ...

This is also true if the laser printed page is put up against a plastic
cover or binding (or those 'resume covers' with the plastic spine).  What I
do instead is to print on bright white paper and then take the original to
the nearest photocopy store and have them copy it onto attractive card stock
or appropriate linen or other paper.  The photocopier also lays down toner,
but it seems slightly more robust than the output from the laser printer.
                                             J. Petersen

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (08/21/90)

In article <245@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn C. Reid) writes:
<
<I have not had particularly good luck feeding thick paper of any
<sort through my LaserWriter II NTX (Apple printer).  Anything thicker
<than basic 20# bond seems to get stuck.

This sounds familiar.

<I don't expect to be able to put cardboard through the printer, but
<I'd like to be able to feed postcards through, for example, or some
<cover stock of some sort.  Has anyone had luck with this?  Is there
<any kind of adjustment that can be made to the printer to loosen its
<constraints on paper thickness?

I have the same printer, with the same poor luck.

<The paper always seems to jam as it gets to the fuser, if that helps.
<It's not an exit jam, and the imaging is almost always accomplished
<by the time it jams.  But it's usually 100% reproducible (the jam,
<that is).

Geesh, at least your paper gets as far as the fuser.  Mine can't even
get past the paper grabber.

<Thanks for any help.  Sorry to post to this newsgroup, but I have a
<pretty limited newsfeed, and I don't get comp.laser-printers.jams or
<whatever the appropriate group might be.

I have basically given up.  I make masters on white paper and them photocopy
them on a high quality copier.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\        spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

carlo@eagle.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) (08/22/90)

I have managed to get card stock through "fairly" reliably (say, 90%
success) by feeding the card through the manual feed rails and pushing ever
so lightly on the trailing edge of the card, in such a way as to 'help' the
traction mechanism grab the card. If you do this, ad your card is long
enough to get to the fuser section of the printer, most of the time it
comes out printed, without jamming. Of course, open the 'straight paper
path' door, so the card does not have to go through the tortuous path it
usually follows!
As I say, this sort of works (from personal experience! :), but it can be
quite frustrating if you have to feed a lot of cards (I fed about 200 and
200 envelopes this way... ouch!).
Carlo

carlo@cvs.rochester.edu

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (08/22/90)

While we are on the subject of thick paper, has anyone has any
experience putting Velum through laser printers?

You see, I was approached by one of the art designers about this, and
although he said he was going to bring some samples for us to test, I
thought some other people may have done this already.

The velum, incidentally, is for the printing of degrees.  Apparently
getting the names penned in professionally is getting too slow with our
number of graduates.  Even so, I am not all that happy about 300 dpi on
such an important document.

Any help would be most appreciated.

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-7420
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433

kuma@cs1.shpcsl.sharp.junet (Norihiro Kumagai) (08/22/90)

In article <4231@rodan.acs.syr.edu>,
   by amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen):

> texture pattern is.  The output may (usually does) look very good.  But,
> when the paper is stressed the unfused toner starts flaking & popping off
> the paper.  ...

Have you ever try to heat it with iron to deposit(!?) toner?

(Hand-made books for oneself) Norihiro Kumagai, SHARP Corp, JAPAN

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (08/24/90)

In article <415@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz>, ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:
> While we are on the subject of thick paper, has anyone has any
> experience putting Velum through laser printers?

Do you mean the genuine sheepskin, or heavy vellum paper?
I have used medium weight vellum paper  through the laser with no
real problems.  It is called vellum parchment or some such.  Rather
nifty looking paper, about 40 or 60 lb with no problem.

Cheers
Woody

In article <6494@shpcsl.shpcsl.sharp.co.jp>, kuma@cs1.shpcsl.sharp.junet (Norihiro Kumagai) writes:
> In article <4231@rodan.acs.syr.edu>,
>    by amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen):
> Have you ever try to heat it with iron to deposit(!?) toner?

I don't think that would work very well.  You'd have to get the iron pretty
hot.  I have attempted to iron OMNICHROME paper foil to a toner image.  It
did not work very well, and besides, you would get smeared, melted toner
over your iron.  The little felt wiper pad is furnished with each toner
cartridge for a reason, it deposits a thin film of silicon oil to the
fuser roller surfaces to keep the toner from sticking.

Cheers
Woody

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (08/25/90)

I. F. asks about running vellum through a laser printer

Yes, I have done this.  I needed some registration symbols in a hurry and
put them together very quickly with Pagemaker and ran them on vellum
on a LaserWriter.  Worked very well.  And, because the vellum is semi-
transparent they were easy to position.
                                                       J. Petersen