[comp.lang.postscript] new PostScript book!

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (08/23/90)

[Disclaimer: I wrote this book and I am therefore slightly biased]

"Thinking in PostScript(R)"
 Glenn C. Reid
 Addison-Wesley Publishing Company

 This book was written by the author of the Adobe Systems
 "green" book, PostScript Language Program Design.  The new
 book, Thinking in PostScript, takes a fresh approach to
 the PostScript Language.  It is intended for audiences at
 all levels, from the beginner to the most advanced, but
 the target is probably the reader who is a very competent
 C programmer but has not had much of a chance to work with
 PostScript.

 The book covers many areas that have not been written about
 before, including in-depth treatment of fundamental
 programming concepts like loops, conditionals, data structures,
 and file I/O.  For example, there is an entire chapter
 devoted to the writing conditionals with the "ifelse" statement.

 This book stems from five years of experience with PostScript
 programming by the author, who has worked for both Adobe Systems
 and NeXT, Inc.  The author observed that there is plenty of
 information available to help you do very specific things with
 PostScript (like render a gray-scale image), but very little
 information about the mechanics of getting your program to work.

 There are Exercises at the end of each chapter to test your
 skills, which also make the book an excellent choice for
 teaching the PostScript language.

 Available probably in October from Addison-Wesley or from
 the book store near you.

 "Thinking in PostScript"
  Glenn C. Reid
  Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
  Route 128, Reading, MA, 01867
  ISBN # 0-201-52372-8

--
 Glenn Reid				PostScript/NeXT consultant
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		Independent Software Developer

In article <251@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn C. Reid) writes:
>"Thinking in PostScript(R)"

But, but, but... you left out the most important bit of information:
what color is it?!?     :-) :-) :-)
--
Committees do harm merely by existing. | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                       -Freeman Dyson  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug23.155615.29394@zoo.toronto.edu>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <251@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn C. Reid) writes:
> >"Thinking in PostScript(R)"
>
> But, but, but... you left out the most important bit of information:
> what color is it?!?     :-) :-) :-)

!#@$!@#$!@#$ you beat me to THE QUESTION !  8=}
I'll bet it is PURPLE.

Cheers
Woody

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (08/25/90)

In article <1990Aug23.155615.29394@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <251@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn C. Reid) writes:
>>"Thinking in PostScript(R)"
>
>But, but, but... you left out the most important bit of information:
>what color is it?!?     :-) :-) :-)

Well, to tell you several truths at once, I don't know what color it is,
and I have not seen the cover (in color), only photographs of it.  The
publisher designs the book cover, and, in fact, decides on the title of
the book, for what it's worth.

However, I can shed some light.  I believe it is MANY colors.  There are
a whole bunch of letters spilling out of strange-looking boxes, which
has less than nothing to do with the contents of the book.  Apparently
the letters are all different colors, the boxes and background different
colors.  There must be some dominant color, but who knows what it might
be.

Hopefully people will just call it "Thinking in PostScript," which is
a tidy title.  It is already getting confusing referring to the books
by their colors, but it has been less confusing than referring to them
by long-winded names like "PostScript Language Tutorial and Cookbook."

I always wanted to get a copy of as many green books as I could find
and put them all on the shelf with the Green Book somewhere in the
middle of all of them.  Like so many other things in life, I never got
around to it.

Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see.

/Glenn

--

jmm@eci386.uucp (John Macdonald) (08/28/90)

In article <254@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:

|I always wanted to get a copy of as many green books as I could find
|and put them all on the shelf with the Green Book somewhere in the
|middle of all of them.  Like so many other things in life, I never got
|around to it.

My wife used to work at a used book store.  One of the unusual (and
profitable) types of regular orders that they would receive came from
the people who furnish model suites for house construction projects.
They would order "3 yards of green" or similar shelf space x colour
combinations.  They don't expect anyone to read the books, but they
want them to fit in with the room's decor!  Because of the lack of
intent to actually *read* the books, this is a gold mine for the
book store ("Now what has been sitting on the shelves so long that
we know we can't sell it any other way...?").
--
Algol 60 was an improvment on most           | John Macdonald
of its successors - C.A.R. Hoare             |   jmm@eci386