[comp.lang.postscript] Why don't xps and ralpage display color?

dak@mst6.lanl.gov (Dave Korzekwa) (09/01/90)

We have a Decstation 3100 running X11R4.  Both xps and ralpage
compile without errors and display files in black and white.
However, these are color postscript files and we need to see them
in color.  Does anybody know what our problem might be?  These
previewers are obviously intended to display color.

Thanks in advance
dave

jfc@athena.mit.edu (John F Carr) (09/04/90)

In article <675@mustang.mst6.lanl.gov> dak@mst6.lanl.gov (Dave Korzekwa) writes:
>We have a Decstation 3100 running X11R4.  Both xps and ralpage
>compile without errors and display files in black and white.
>However, these are color postscript files and we need to see them
>in color.  Does anybody know what our problem might be?  These
>previewers are obviously intended to display color.

I modified our version of xps to display color.  Our X11.c is not the one that
comes with X11 R4, however.  It has evolved here independently over the past
few years (it has comments about changes made for X11 R2 which don't appear in
other versions, so it is at least 2 years old).  I consider my work incomplete:
it assumes 2^8 colors, and a side effect of my changes was to turn off
interpolation of colors with dot patterns (so this doesn't work well on
monochrome).  I can send diffs to anyone interested.

--
    --John Carr (jfc@athena.mit.edu)