[comp.lang.postscript] 2nd edition of Red Book

cet1@cl.cam.ac.uk (C.E. Thompson) (09/03/90)

In article <5965@adobe.UUCP> orthlieb@adobe.UUCP (Carl Orthlieb) writes:

>The new red book that is currently in the works will also describe these
>operators in detail.

I noticed that a 2nd edition was mentioned in Documents/book.info from the
Adobe server. Would anyone from Adobe like to tell us what extra stuff
will be in it? Packed arrays and //names, presumably. V2 structure comments?
Display PostScript operators? setpage?

According to book.info, it will cost $4 more than the 1st edition. More pages?

Chris Thompson
JANET:    cet1@uk.ac.cam.phx
Internet: cet1%phx.cam.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

orthlieb@adobe.COM (Carl Orthlieb) (09/04/90)

In article <1990Sep3.141048.3514@cl.cam.ac.uk> cet1@cl.cam.ac.uk (C.E. Thompson) writes:
>I noticed that a 2nd edition was mentioned in Documents/book.info from the
>Adobe server. Would anyone from Adobe like to tell us what extra stuff
>will be in it? Packed arrays and //names, presumably. V2 structure comments?
>Display PostScript operators? setpage?
>
>According to book.info, it will cost $4 more than the 1st edition. More pages?

Yes, yes, yes!  The red book has been occupying considerable bandwidth in
people's working lives here at Adobe over the last 6 months.  It will be
approximately 700 pages long, over twice the size of the original red book.

The unofficial contents of the book include revised material from the old
book, discussions pertaining to memory management, binary encoding formats,
user paths, filters, forms, patterns, color spaces, device independent
printer features, composite (kanji) fonts, the new halftoning operators,
compatibility strategies between PostScript Level 1 and Level 2, the
Document Structuring Conventions v3.0, a detailed look at EPSF, and much,
much more.

The extensions to the language, DPS, composite fonts, file system operators,
color, as well as all of the new Level 2 operators, are covered in full.

Carl 8-)

jamesd@techbook.com (James Deibele) (09/05/90)

In article <1990Sep3.141048.3514@cl.cam.ac.uk> cet1@cl.cam.ac.uk (C.E. Thompson) writes:
>In article <5965@adobe.UUCP> orthlieb@adobe.UUCP (Carl Orthlieb) writes:
>>
>>The new red book that is currently in the works will also describe these
>>operators in detail.
>
>I noticed that a 2nd edition was mentioned in Documents/book.info from the
>Adobe server. Would anyone from Adobe like to tell us what extra stuff
>will be in it? Packed arrays and //names, presumably. V2 structure comments?
>Display PostScript operators? setpage?
>
>According to book.info, it will cost $4 more than the 1st edition. More pages?

I'm not from Adobe, but the description in the Fall 1990 Addison-Wesley catalog
lists the page count at 480 pages, which is quite a few more than the first
edition.  It's listed as "covering the many new powerful features added to
PostScript, including the Display PostScript system, color extensions, and font
extensions.  Written by the experts at Adobe Systems, Inc., this comprehensive
reference discusses the individual PostScript operators in detail."

Hope that helps a little.  They haven't sent out any additional info on the
book yet.

--
jamesd@techbook.COM  ...!{tektronix!nosun,uunet}!techbook!jamesd
Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257

mr@ogre (Michael Regoli) (09/05/90)

In <1990Sep3.141048.3514@cl.cam.ac.uk> cet1@cl.cam.ac.uk (C.E. Thompson) writes:

>In article <5965@adobe.UUCP> orthlieb@adobe.UUCP (Carl Orthlieb) writes:
>>
>>The new red book that is currently in the works will also describe these
>>operators in detail.
>>

>I noticed that a 2nd edition was mentioned in Documents/book.info from the
>Adobe server. Would anyone from Adobe like to tell us what extra stuff
>will be in it?

Also, what is the listed release date of the book?  "Fall 1990" is the
only info we have here...

Thanks!

--
michael regoli