[comp.lang.postscript] USPC file output?

pollack@dendrite.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jordan B Pollack) (08/22/90)

I could not get the distillery to run under NeWS, and so tried to run
it under Ultrascript PC. It seemed to work(!) but the output scrolled by
on the screen and did not land in the USLOAD.LOG file, as advertised
by the manual.

Subsequent simple tests of postscript errors were not captured either,
and I wonder if this is a known bug in USPC, or some misunderstanding
of the manual on my part.

Does anyone know? Thanx in advance.

--
Jordan Pollack                            Assistant Professor
CIS Dept/OSU                              Laboratory for AI Research

geof@aurora.com (Geoffrey H. Cooper) (08/23/90)

In article <POLLACK.90Aug22104029@dendrite.cis.ohio-state.edu> pollack@cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
>I could not get the distillery to run under NeWS, and so tried to run
>it under Ultrascript PC. It seemed to work(!) but the output scrolled by
>on the screen and did not land in the USLOAD.LOG file, as advertised
>by the manual.

No, usload.log is only for program crashes.  The manual, which is
designed for the Postscript-naive, may not be clear on this.

There is no automatic mechanism for logging the output of USPC's
screen.  However, there are several alternatives available to you:

	[1] I think that the distillery is designed to operate on an
	    input and output file.  Since USPC can only open a very
	    limited number of files at once for PS use, you may have
	    to run this by creating a file that you "print" (not from
	    executive, which uses an extra file descriptor of its own).

	    So maybe "still.ps" can actually do the output to where you
	    want it.

	[2] You can probably redefine the PS operators that output to
	    standard output to output to a file.  Something like:

		/myfile (filename)(w) file def
		/realprint print load def
		/print { dup myfile exch writestring realprint } bind def
		/writestring { exch pop myfile exch writestring } bind def

	[3] If all else fails (it shouldn't, but maybe you like to hack
	    PC more than PS), the USPRINT program uses simple BIOS
	    calls to put data on the screen.  You can trap the BIOS
	    INT 10 and grab the data.  Probably, you should just trap
	    the "scroll region" call and grab the data out of video memory.
- Geof
--
geof@aurora.com / aurora!geof@decwrl.dec.com / geof%aurora.com@decwrl.dec.com

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug22.172319.9707@aurora.com> geof@aurora.UUCP (Geoffrey H. Cooper) writes:
|In article <POLLACK.90Aug22104029@dendrite.cis.ohio-state.edu> pollack@cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
||I could not get the distillery to run under NeWS, and so tried to run
||it under Ultrascript PC. It seemed to work(!) but the output scrolled by
||on the screen and did not land in the USLOAD.LOG file, as advertised
||by the manual.
|
|There is no automatic mechanism for logging the output of USPC's
|screen.  However, there are several alternatives available to you:
|
|	[1] I think that the distillery is designed to operate on an
|	    input and output file.  Since USPC can only open a very
|	    limited number of files at once for PS use, you may have
|	    to run this by creating a file that you "print" (not from
|	    executive, which uses an extra file descriptor of its own).
|
|	    So maybe "still.ps" can actually do the output to where you
|	    want it.

Yes, the Distillery can be made to write directly to a file, although
I've never tried it with USPC.  I think that all you have to do is to
change the way you invoke the Distillery.  If you are currently putting
the word "distill" followed by the whole file to be distilled, try the
following instead:

(filename.ps) distill

If (filename.ps) can be opened by the interpreter, it should write out
a file named "filename.psx" with the distilled output.

(Glenn) cvn

--
 Glenn Reid				PostScript/NeXT consultant
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		Independent Software Developer

dall@plains.NoDak.edu (Brian Dall) (09/06/90)

Could someone who owns a copy of UltraScript Plus please mail me a list
of the printers it supports for output?  Also, benchmarks would be
greatly appreciated (e.g. the "scoop" page from Ventura Publisher printed
on XXXXXX printer took X min, XX sec when printed from a .C00 file).

Thank you.

-Brian Dall
dall@plains.NoDak.edu