[comp.lang.postscript] Anyone had experience with Synergetics, Thatcher Arizona?

daveb@comspec.uucp (dave berman) (08/24/90)

Hi, Net Land!

Has anyone out there had experience using Synergetic's Postscript Service?

They offer a help line, and plenty of things to buy.

Anyone had good - medium - bad experiences ?

Post, Email, or Both! I will be watching this channel... -dave

--
Dave Berman
436 Perth Av #U-907   daveb@comspec.UUCP   Computer at work

ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug24.060852.11635@comspec.uucp> daveb@comspec.uucp (dave
berman) writes:
>Has anyone out there had experience using Synergetic's Postscript Service?
>Anyone had good - medium - bad experiences ?

Howdy, dave. I've had little experience with Don's PS service, although I did
call him for advice a week or so ago, and got quick, concise, free (;^), and
to-the-point advice.

I've known Don for some years (we're both cavers, and live in the same general
area), and I'd be flatly amazed to find that he's a ripoff artist. That would
be against the grain of everything I know about the man. On the other hand,
I'm SURE he must have a few dissatisfied customers. Everyone does.

The folks I know who deal with him are all happy. So, let someone else take it
from there.

						(tip of the hat),

		"Today's urine is tomorrow's Tang."
			-- attributed to one of the Apollo astronauts
   Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu

sdm7g@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Steve D. Majewski) (08/29/90)

In article <1990Aug24.060852.11635@comspec.uucp> daveb@comspec.uucp (dave berman) writes:
>Has anyone out there had experience using Synergetic's Postscript Service?

 I haven't yet ordered any of the books or used the help line, but
 Don Lancaster writes a column "Hardware Hacker" in Radio Electronics
 Magazine: occasionally the topic is PostScript, and he has also had
 2 articles on PostScript in the last couple issues of BYTE. From what
 I have seen, I would highly recommend it.

 BTW: The latest issue (Sept) of R-E has nothing on PostScript, but has
 an interesting misc. column about perpetual motion, magneto-caloric
 cooling devices, and "HOW to do research" !   If there is any-one who
 remembers the days before Apples, PC's, etc.: DL was the author of an
 early book on how to build a "TV-Typewriter" ( Now OUT OF PRINT, even
 by the author, I'm sure ) and TTL-Cookbook, CMOS-Cookbook ( In print
 by the author, who runs an "instant publishing" operation - sort of
 like the Japaneese "Just in time" mfgr. - He prints the book when he
 gets your order for it ! )

 - sdm

 Steven D. Majewski		University of Virginia Physiology Dept.
 sdm7g@Virginia.EDU		Box 449 Health Sciences Center
 (804)-982-0831			Charlottesville, VA 22908

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (08/29/90)

In article <1990Aug28.185843.23493@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> sdm7g@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Steve D. Majewski) writes:
>   If there is any-one who
> remembers the days before Apples, PC's, etc.: DL was the author of an
> early book on how to build a "TV-Typewriter" ( Now OUT OF PRINT, even
> by the author, I'm sure )

I remember it, I may even still have a copy of the schematics or the R-E
article.  It's just as well it's out of print ;-)

(I'm not denigrating DL, the TVT was one of the pioneering efforts in the
"do it in software, not hardware DUMMY!" school of controller design.
But, no, you wouldn't want to do it that way any more....)

--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (416)-294-9253
UUCP: uunet!utai!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis

dspeed@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Dave Speed) (08/31/90)

I've talked to Don Lancaster several times; he was
most helpful.  He *is* highly opinionated.

I also have one of his books which are reprints of
his old computer shopper columns. I found them great
for Postscript ideas and DIY items such as recharging
laserjet toner carts and mini-publishing.

Dave

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (09/02/90)

I have had a fruitful correspondence with the poster of the original request
for information.  I now know the story behind it.  Since Don and I are pretty
good friends, I called him and discussed it with him.  Since he hasno
access to usenet, I'd like to take a moment to explain that Don has analyzed
his business, and his life, and determined that certain things were no longer
productive for him to do.  One of these things, is foriegn sales.  They
wind up costing him more money than they are worth.  His particular problems
have stemmed mostly from Canada.  It seems that shipments don't arrive, he
has troubles with banks, checks, and money transfers etc. etc.  He has
come to the conclusion that foreign sales are just not worth it.  So he
has adopted a policy of "we don't support or sell to foriegn customers"
The poster of this question, unfortunatly got caught flatfooted in this
decision.  He got the material, but no support.  Don has offered to
cheerfuly refund the money for the material if it is sent back.  I can
see both sides of the issue, and while I don't necessarily agree with
Don's handling of the situation, I respect his right to make those sorts
of decisions.  So for the record, I guess that Synergetics has become
an "All American" :^) company.

Don is very helpful, and does supply good material.  He has just started
a POSTSCRIPT ROUNDTABLE over on GENIE.  There are LOTS of goodies, but
it is a subscription thing via GENIE.

Cheers
Woody

dennisg@felix.UUCP (Dennis Griesser) (09/07/90)

In article <841@ecicrl.UUCP> clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) replies:
>I remember it, I may even still have a copy of the schematics or the R-E
>article.  It's just as well it's out of print ;-)
>
>(I'm not denigrating DL, the TVT was one of the pioneering efforts in the
>"do it in software, not hardware DUMMY!" school of controller design.
>But, no, you wouldn't want to do it that way any more....)

Sorry, WRONG!

The original, accept no substitutes TV Typewriter was entirely done in
HARDWARE.  It used shift registers for data storage.  Didn't scroll.
Low resolution (I think 32x16 characters).

But it was fairly cheap to build, and it was the first terminal that you
could put together yourself.  I still have mine, gathering dust somewhere.
I haven't powered it up for 15 years at least.

YOU are thinking of a much later gizmo, such as the TVT-6.  I think that
there was one called TVT-6L.  I got a kick out of that series because Don
managed to sell basically the same design to three different publications,
within a few months of each other.  It was heavily driven by software.  If
I remember correctly, at one point the CPU executed a long string of NOPs,
just to get a nice ascending address on the bus.  Somebody who actually
built one of these can give you more info.

The generation between the original TVT and the TVT-6 was what Don called
"Cheap Video" and "Son of Cheap Video".  Books to match.  Included some
interesting techniques.  Like the "Snuffler Coil", which you placed next
to your TV set to pick up stray pulses from the sync circuitry, so you didn't
have to generate it yourself.

dall@plains.NoDak.edu (Brian Dall) (09/09/90)

In article <3848@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US> dspeed@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US
(Dave Speed) writes:
>I've talked to Don Lancaster several times; he was
>most helpful.  He *is* highly opinionated.
>Dave

Hey, opinion is what sparks discussions, so has anyone asked him if
he would get on the net and join us in this newsgroup?  I enjoy his
columns in Computer Shopper, and though I don't always agree with his
opinions or understand why he chooses to do certain things in the
way he does, I appreciate the creative fire and the way he seems to
be looking out for the "small guy" by publishing the results of his
comparitive price shopping.

Brian Dall
dall@plains.NoDak.edu

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (09/09/90)

In article <5795@plains.NoDak.edu>, dall@plains.NoDak.edu (Brian Dall) writes:

> Hey, opinion is what sparks discussions, so has anyone asked him if
> he would get on the net and join us in this newsgroup?  I enjoy his
> columns in Computer Shopper, and though I don't always agree with his
> opinions or understand why he chooses to do certain things in the
> way he does, I appreciate the creative fire and the way he seems to
> be looking out for the "small guy" by publishing the results of his
> comparitive price shopping.

I have known Don for a number of years.  I'm the guy responsible for turnig
him onto the OMNICHROM toner coloring process.  Don lives in the middle
of nowhere, literally on a sand dune.  The Town of Stafford Arizona,
is a hundred miles from nowhere.  Don does not spent money on phonecalls
with much enthusiasm.  As long as you are calling him he'll talk, but
it is a real event when he calls me.  Anyway, there is not a usenet node
within a hundred miles or so.  I think Pheonix is the closest large
city.  If Don had a local call to a usenet node, you can bet he would
be here.  He is now running a RoundTable over on Genie.  He gets paid
as the sysop, about .60 per hour of users connect time (connect time
costs 6.00 per hour).  He of course, gets a toll free 800 number to
access Genie over, so he is rapidly becoming adicted to telecommunications.
Unfortunatly, there is no link between USENET and GENIE.  Genie is
looking into doing it  sometime down the road, but currently there is
no way to do it.  I've come close a couple of times to sending Don
the complete set of usenet archives that I have been keeping since
Jan, 1990, but It is my understanding that certain folks on usenet
have some fairly religious feelings about that sort of thing, i.e.
posting stuff essentially for "free" and then having someone else
charge for it.  It also works the other way.  Genie is definitly
going to change it's pricing structure, and problably will eventually
get a usenet link.  Until then, Don probably won't be able to get
on usenet, unless someone makes a way for him to do it with a local
or VERY lowcost call.  It would be nice if there were a way.  If
anyone knows of one, email me, and I'll pass it on and help
make arrangements.

Cheers
Woody