[comp.lang.postscript] %comments and communications drivers

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (09/08/90)

In article <6343@adobe.UUCP> taft@adobe.COM (Ed Taft) writes:
>Since Glenn mentioned my name, I suppose I'd better contribute what I can to
>this discussion. I certainly don't want Glenn to eat a toner cartridge; it
>might interfere with his ability to participate in this newsgroup.

Sorry, Ed, I didn't really mean to drag you into this.  But thanks,
nonetheless, for the clarification.

>Comments are not stripped out by the serial driver, centronics driver, or
>any other driver in a PostScript printer. Comments are recognized as such
>only by the PostScript language scanner, which is invoked when you execute
>the file or read it using the token operator, but not when you read it using
>data transfer operators such as readstring.

The main reason I volunteered to eat a toner cartridge in the first place
is because I knew that it couldn't possibly be true that the comments
were being stripped out in the low-level communications driver.  The
secondary reason I volunteered, of course, was so people would send me
toner cartridges, because mine's running out.

>By the way, the subject of this thread doesn't have much to do with its
>content, does it?

I fixed the subject line, for what it's worth.

Glenn

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		PostScript/NeXT developers

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (09/09/90)

In article <"70@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
> were being stripped out in the low-level communications driver.  The
> secondary reason I volunteered, of course, was so people would send me
> toner cartridges, because mine's running out.

I know that this group is not the spot for a discussion of toner reloading, but
I don't have access to comp.laser-printers or whatever it is.  I have been
reloading cartridges for years, (I was the first person in Austin to do it,
and discovered a compatable toner Minolta EP-350 Black) on my own.  I have
reloaded SX and CX cartridges, and have quite a bit of information on it.
I'll be glad to post a tutorial on reloading your own cartridegs if there
is any amount of interest.  It can cost as little as 8.00.

For example.

Cartridge Connection Corporation
1-800-678-8225
No minumum order
CX Kit	$6.35
SX Kit	$7.95
4760 Kingsway Drive
Indianapolix, IN. 46205

Kit includes Pekikan Toner (really good) Pre-oiled felt, toner seal
and custom 4 mil poly bag.  New SX drums are available for $37.00 each.
(Canon uses a patented abrasive toner to help wear out the drum, so
you rarely can get over 3 reloads from a SX cartridge.  If you take a
BRAND NEW cartridge apart before the pull strip has been yanked, and replace

the Canon toner with a good reload toner, you can get 5 or 6 or so.  There
are some new SELENIUM drums that can handle 16-17 reloads.  I dump the
Canon toner as a matter of course when I get a new cartridge.

The above prices are called JULY SPECIAL, and come out of an advertisement
in the Recharger magazie, so don't know how long they will hold.

Most toner prices are running 8-9.00 per bottle, in bulk purchase i.e.
10 bottles per case for $7.75 each.  (from Laser Recharge of New England
41 Carlene Drive
Nashua, Nh. 03062
800-322-8992

The procedure takes less than 15 min and reloaders charge anywhere from
$29.95 to $59.95 for doing it.  It seems that $34.95 -49.95 is the general
range around here, needless to say, the profit potential is great.

I have no affiliation with either of the above suppliers.  Just got thier
names from an Ad.
Cheer
Woody

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (09/10/90)

In article <1566@chinacat.Unicom.COM> woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:
>In article <"70@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn
>>... was so people would send me toner cartridges, because mine's running out.

>I know that this group is not the spot for a discussion of toner reloading,
>I don't have access to comp.laser-printers or whatever it is.

  A side note, I have stopped following this group (comp.laser...) because on
several occasions after answering a question, I was swamped with automated
email coming from distribution mailers in europe.  I even believe my site
(may) have stopped carrying it for this same reason by now.

>I have been reloading cartridges for years,...
>and discovered a compatable toner Minolta EP-350 Black) on my own.  I have
>reloaded SX and CX cartridges, and have quite a bit of information on it.

  Just a brief note of additional info, I too started filling carts years ago.
I used every method known to mankind.   There are and can be some serious
health consequences associated to doing it.  It is generally somewhat messy,
and not well suited to northern climate variations (winter, {wet}spring & fall)
And generally a pain in the xss.  As a corporate entity, now that several
companies exist that perform this service, I (generally) no longer involve
myself.  As a individual, I probably would continue myself IF AND WHEN I get
a laser.  However, in my case, I currently have the opportunity to purchase
carts myself taking advantage of huge volume pricing and probably wouldn't...
   While not a add, woody has been a great source in the past, and I would
recommend his advice for the hard core interested.  There also was a great
article in the shopper a long time ago (via don L.), maybe reprints are avail.
there also are publications on the subject and mags like the recharger woody
mentions.

>Most toner prices are running 8-9.00 per bottle, in bulk purchase i.e.
>10 bottles per case for $7.75 each.

   In light of my earlier comments, I have about 10 sealed bottles of
minolta ep-350 toner.  They are for sale, $ 5 each.  If you take the whole
lot, I'll ship free you pay $5 ea plus COD.  Individual bottles, $5 + sh + cod.
UPS brown service either case.  Send email to me at the followup address.
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu