[comp.lang.postscript] Mac SuperPaint -> Adobe Illustrator -> NeXT ps

u-sgreen%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Greenman) (08/29/90)

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes...

I need to get a file from Macintosh SuperPaint to a NeXT computer as a .ps
or .eps file.  I want to have the fonts preserved.  Here is what I've tried:

 I saved the file from SuperPaint as a PICT file.  I then tried to use
 Adobe Illustrator on the Macintosh to convert the PICT file to a .ps or .eps
 file that the NeXT would recognize.  Transferring the files between computers
is no problem, but I don't know how to get Adobe Illustrator to do what I
want.

Thanks for any help.

Scott Greenman
Univ of Utah

dkletter@adobe.COM (It's all fun and games until someone PUTS AN EYE OUT) (08/30/90)

u-sgreen%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Greenman) asks:

>I need to get a file from Macintosh SuperPaint to a NeXT computer as a .ps
>or .eps file.  I want to have the fonts preserved.  Here is what I've tried:

>... file that the NeXT would recognize.  Transferring the files between
>computers is no problem, but I don't know how to get Adobe Illustrator to
>do what I want.

well, Illustrator doesn't recognize PICTs as anything. Illustrator will let
you use PAINT files as templates, but that doesn't sound like what you want.
the best thing to do is to open the SuperPaint file in Adobe Photoshop and
save that as a .EPS file. you should be able to upload that to your NeXT
quite easily.

the only other solution i can think of is to save the PICT file as a PAINT
file and then trace the object in Illustrator and save that image as an
Illustrator .EPSF file.

or keep the file as a PICT and using Adobe Streamline, autotrace it and
save that as a .EPSF?

hope this helps...

--
"Yellow... black and rectangular... with wedged shapes inside... Oh, I see
them everywhere... Am I losing my mind?"

hwt@bwdlh490.bnr.ca (Henry Troup) (09/06/90)

In article <6151@adobe.UUCP> dkletter@adobe.UUCP (It's all fun and games until someone PUTS AN EYE OUT) writes:
>well, Illustrator doesn't recognize PICTs as anything. Illustrator will let
>you use PAINT files as templates, but that doesn't sound like what you want.
>the best thing to do is to open the SuperPaint file in Adobe Photoshop and
>save that as a .EPS file. you should be able to upload that to your NeXT
>quite easily.

Our version of Illustrator has a separate program called 'Draw Over' that
converts PICT to EPS.  You then open the translated file, and open the
PICT as template, save it, and you get really nice MacDraw -> eps.

So, do I dream in technicolour, or did you over look a detail or two :-)
--
Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions | No humor available today
uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA +1 613-765-2337 | try again tomorrow.

dkletter@adobe.COM (It's all fun and games until someone PUTS AN EYE OUT) (09/11/90)

In article <4351@bwdls58.UUCP> hwt@bwdlh490.bnr.ca (Henry Troup) writes:

>So, do I dream in technicolour, or did you over look a detail or two :-)

i overlooked a detail or two. i should also say that Illustrator itself
*does* recognize PICTs as templates and that i don't know where my head
was when i said otherwise, except that i must have been thinking about
DrawOver.

sorry. --d

--
"Ein zwei drei vier... Steve oh yeah."