[comp.lang.postscript] LaserWriter banner page--who is the User?

tj@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) (09/14/90)

Can anyone tell me about the banner page printed by the LaserWriter
driver when the "Cover Page" option is selected?  In particular I'm
interested in the "User: so-and-so" portion.  At first I thought that
the LaserWriter driver was simply doing a GetString(-16096) to find
the Chooser name, but it's not.  I spent an hour with MacsBug and MPW
dissasembling the LaserWriter driver, but I can't figure out where
it's getting the user's name.

Can't somebody tell me how the LaserWriter decides who the user is?

Thanks--
	Tom

--
Tom Johnson      UCLA Computer Science Department
			3413 Boelter Hall, Los Angeles CA 90024 (213)825-6952

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (09/14/90)

In article <38946@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> tj@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) writes:
>the Chooser name, but it's not.  I spent an hour with MacsBug and MPW
>dissasembling the LaserWriter driver, but I can't figure out where
>it's getting the user's name.
>
>Can't somebody tell me how the LaserWriter decides who the user is?

There are a lot of people who know more about this than I do,
but I think it's in the Print Record that is negotiated
between the application and the print server.  It could
be set by the application, and the application may or may
not take it from the Chooser.

I'm sure (at least I hope) someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

(Glenn) cvn

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		PostScript/NeXT developers