[comp.lang.postscript] EPS screen image & EPSI ??s

jwhiting@cdp.UUCP (09/13/90)

A different buncha EPS issues:

I write a fair number of EPS files.  I work on a Mac and use SmartArt to
generate my PICTs for screen images.  So far, so good.

Now I want to port these EPS images over to the PC under Windows and
eventually onto a Sun.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no
SmartArt or equivalent for the PC.  So the first question is, how does
one generate a PC screen image with a minimum of fuss and muss?  Hand
generating TIFFs ain't my idea of a good time.

So I sez to myself: time for a shortcut.  Use Adobe PhotoShop to open
the PICT resource up and export it as a TIFF, link it to the PC and
somehow insert it as a comment in the PC EPS file?  Apple File Exchange
with DataViz filters?  Or do I have to live with gray BBoxes all my
life?

And what about EPSI?  It was always a part of the EPS spec but not even
Illustrator reads it.  The sample in the tech note don't work.  Will the
new Illustrator 3.0 read generic hex screen images, setting the example
for other developers to follow (hint, hint)?

And speaking of PhotoShop shortcuts, will the export as "raw" option
generate the equivalent of an EPSI screen image?  Will this EPSI beast
be further explained in the upcoming Son of Red Book?

And what about the Sun world?  While I don't use one now, I'd like to
real soon.  What do they use for screen images when displaying hand made
EPS files?

inquiring minds want to know...  Please respond within this conference
because I have a hunch I'm not the only one with these questions.

thanks gang,
jwhiting

cdp!jwhiting@labrea.stanford.edu
[DE3MIR]jwhiting

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (09/14/90)

In article <134400016@cdp>, jwhiting@cdp.UUCP writes:

> Now I want to port these EPS images over to the PC under Windows and
> eventually onto a Sun.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no
> SmartArt or equivalent for the PC.  So the first question is, how does

Emerald City has a product called Lasertalk PC that as far as I know
will return the bitmap back to you.  It is fairly pricy, as is
Arts&Letters.  Arts &Letters will accept EPS files.  It will also accept
TIFF files and allow you to curve trace them.  You really need a
math coprocessor, and some time.  It definitly can be a hassle to get them
Correct, but it can be done.  I would further surmise that
most of the packages that are PS interpreters for the PC, such as
Ghostscript, (see prior posting), or GoScript etc will also allow you
to do this.

naughton@wind.Eng.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (09/15/90)

In article <134400016@cdp>, jwhiting@cdp.UUCP writes:

|> A different buncha EPS issues:
|>
|> I write a fair number of EPS files.  I work on a Mac and use SmartArt to
|> generate my PICTs for screen images.  So far, so good.
|>
|> Now I want to port these EPS images over to the PC under Windows and
|> eventually onto a Sun.

|> And what about the Sun world?  While I don't use one now, I'd like to
|> real soon.  What do they use for screen images when displaying hand made
|> EPS files?

I use Frame/Maker V2.0 on a SPARC and created a Sun Logo with a screen
preview by writing the PS code to draw the logo, then feeding that to
pageview, the PostScript previewer under OpenWindows, and converted
that raster to PostScript with ras2ps (included in OW2.0) then pasted
the hex output of that into the PostScript source for the logo as an
EPSI preview.

The final product looks like this:

%!PS-Adobe-2.0 EPSF-2.0
%%Creator: Patrick J. Naughton (naughton@wind)
%%For: (Sun Microsystems Incorporated) ()
%%Title: (Sun Logo)
%%CreationDate: (12/20/88) (10:56 AM)
%%Pages: 1
%%DocumentFonts: Times-Bold Helvetica
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 160 60
%%EndComments
%%BeginPreview: 160 63 1 63
% FFFFFFE0FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
% FFFFFFC07FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
% FFFFFF803FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
	:
	:
	63 total lines of hex...
	:
	:
% FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF7FFFFFFFFFF
% FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFE7FFFFFFFFFF
% FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFCFFFFFFFFFFF
%%EndPreview

%%EndProlog

%%Page "one" 1

	... PS code to draw the logo ...

/Times-Bold findfont
64 scalefont setfont
70 15 moveto
(sun) show

/Helvetica findfont
17 scalefont setfont
70 0 moveto
(microsystems) show

showpage

%%Trailer

--
Hope this helps...

-Patrick

    Patrick J. Naughton				    ARPA: naughton@sun.com
    Window Systems Group			    UUCP: ...!sun!naughton
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.			    AT&T: (415) 336 - 1080