[comp.lang.postscript] Ideal processor for PS

rob@idacom.uucp (Rob Chapman) (09/18/90)

 Hi, is there anybody at Adobe (or elsewhere) interested in a 32 bit processor
 which has two on board stacks, support for IEEE floating point, on chip DMA,
 20 ns execution time for most instructions (8 bit opcodes), plugs directly
 into DRAM, and only costs $20?  To me it sounds perfect for running PostScript
 on a printer or whatever.

Rob

larry@csccat.UUCP (Larry Spence) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep17.200919.20370@idacom.uucp> rob@idacom.uucp (Rob Chapman) writes:

> Hi, is there anybody at Adobe (or elsewhere) interested in a 32 bit processor
> which has two on board stacks, support for IEEE floating point, on chip DMA,
> 20 ns execution time for most instructions (8 bit opcodes), plugs directly
> into DRAM, and only costs $20?  To me it sounds perfect for running PostScript
> on a printer or whatever.

I'm interested, but only if the following "instructions" execute in 20 ns each:

     stroke
     fill, eofill
     clip, eoclip
     showpage

%) %) %)

Seriously, there are people out there implementing PS in RISC microcode and
on chips that have instructions like "rasterize this trapezoid."

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat