[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript formats and PC programs!?

kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) (09/20/90)

Hi all.  I am getting more and more confused as the days (weeks months
etc) go on.

I am using Adobe Illustrator to do some artwork.  AI will allow me to
save files in regular postcript format which they call <filename.ai>,
in encapsulated postscript <*.eps> and adobe binary.  All fine and
good.  I can take this artwork and print it directly (*.ai) except for
the ^D at the strat of the file which I have to manually delete, and I
can incorporate the *.eps files into other programs to print it as a
piece of art in another document.  What then can't I do you might
ask!!!????

I can't get AI to recognize any postscript or encapsulated postscript
that is generated by any other program that I have such as:

Lotus Freelance
Lotus GraphWriter
Lotus Manuscript
Hijaak
Ventura
etc

I am getting frustrated.  I have a lot of artwork done in other
programs that I need to clean up but can't get them into AI.  Does
someone have a solution that doesn't cost a lot of money (e.g. go out
and buy Corel Draw or Micrographix Designer)..

Anyone form Adobe want to send me e-mail.

BTW, is AI going to be upgraded soon.  I'm still using thesame version
that I purchased two years ago --- have I just missed the upgrades????

Kevin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc}!atha!kevinc

p_davis@epik.enet.dec.com (Peter Davis) (09/20/90)

In article <285@aupair.cs.athabascau.ca>, kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) writes...

>I can't get AI to recognize any postscript or encapsulated postscript
>that is generated by any other program that I have such as:

It's difficult or impossible to write a program that can revise arbitrary
PostScript or EPS files in a meaningful.  There are so many features to the
language, and so many ways of expressing the same picture, that a given program
(such as Adobe Illustrator) will have no way of knowing what another program's
output means.

Actually, Computer Support Corporation in Texas claims to have an interpreter,
called Decypher, which can take arbitrary EPS files and put them into a format
that's revisable by their own illustration software, Arts & Letters.  I haven't
seen how well this works, so I can't comment on it.

It's also possible to write a program which understands specific EPS files, such
as those generated by Illustrator, etc.  However, the program would have to the
details about how the creating program uses EPS.

-pd

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (09/21/90)

In article <1684@shodha.enet.dec.com> p_davis@epik.enet.dec.com (Peter Davis) writes:
->
->In article <285@aupair.cs.athabascau.ca>, kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) writes...
[...]
->Actually, Computer Support Corporation in Texas claims to have an interpreter,
->called Decypher, which can take arbitrary EPS files and put them into a format
->that's revisable by their own illustration software, Arts & Letters.  I haven't
->seen how well this works, so I can't comment on it.

I have it and have used it, so I can comment on it.  I believe that CSC
actually licenses Decipher from another company (who I belive sells it
under there own name, also).  In any case, Decipher breaks the eps into
three catagories:

   1. The fonts, if applicable, are mapped to the closes CSC font.
   2. The raster image(s), if applicable, are separated info tif file(s).
   3. What's left, if anything, is tranformed into the CSC GED vector format.

They are currently working on an improved, Windows 3.0 version of Decipher.

jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) (09/21/90)

Actually, Corel Draw seems to do very well at importing EPS files and
converting them to internal objects with the ability to manipulate
them.

-Jaz

| Jack A Zucker	                 {cwjcc,pyramid,decvax,uunet}!jaz@icd.ab.com |
| Allen-Bradley Company, Inc.     or                       ICCGCC::ZUCKER    |
| 747 Alpha Drive
| Highland Hts., OH 44143         phone: (216) 646-4668   FAX: (216)
646-4484 |