[comp.lang.postscript] conversion from hell; PCX -> PS

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (09/19/90)

I'm consulting w/someone who has a color graphic edited in
PC PaintBrush. This color file needs to be -- so she sez --
printed on a color postscript file, hence she's looking for
a way to convert the PCX file to a PS file.

Are there any handy utilities that'll do this? Or a way to
gen a PS file from PC PaintBrush? Thanks for any info! - Ross

>>> yahnke@macc.wisc.edu <<<

nicolai@lysator.liu.se (Nicolai Wadstr|m) (09/19/90)

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) writes:

>I'm consulting w/someone who has a color graphic edited in
>PC PaintBrush. This color file needs to be -- so she sez --
>printed on a color postscript file, hence she's looking for
>a way to convert the PCX file to a PS file.

>Are there any handy utilities that'll do this? Or a way to
>gen a PS file from PC PaintBrush? Thanks for any info! - Ross

Well HiJaak from Inset Systems converts .PCX, .GIF, tiff, HpGl etc (most
formats) to Color Postscript or "normal" postscript (among other HiJaak
converts from most formats to most formats, have always coverd my needs
for picture/image format conversions....)

/ nicolai

         The Source Pool  2:200/121  I Nicolai Wadstr|m
 _____   +46-40-124554 *HST 14.4k*   I
I     I       (Sysop ====>)          I Internet :  nicolai@lysator.liu.se
I  O  I                              I FidoNet  :  The Source Pool, 2:200/121
I__U__I   Lots of source code!!!     I Snailmail:  Ostindiefarareg. 14
                                     I              211 Malm| SWEDEN

kensy@microsoft.UUCP (Ken SYKES) (09/22/90)

In article <4422@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) writes:
>I'm consulting w/someone who has a color graphic edited in
>PC PaintBrush. This color file needs to be -- so she sez --
>printed on a color postscript file, hence she's looking for
>a way to convert the PCX file to a PS file.
>
>Are there any handy utilities that'll do this? Or a way to
>gen a PS file from PC PaintBrush? Thanks for any info! - Ross

If you have Windows 3.0 then you can use Paintbrush to do this:

1. Install a PostScript printer configured to the FILE: port.

2. Load the image into Paintbrush.  Note: your display must have enough
   resolution to display the picture.  I.E. you can't load a 256 color PCX
   onto a VGA without losing color information.

3. Choose File.Print.  And press OK.  At the file prompt type in the name
   you want for the PostScript version.

Hope this helps.

Ken Sykes
Disclaimer: The above opinions are solely my own.