[net.micro] Laptop machine of interest

gnu@hoptoad.UUCP (07/12/86)

This message is being typed on a Kaypro 2000, which is a laptop PC clone
with 768K RAM, 1 3.5'' disk drive (720K), 25x80 LCD screen, full size
detachable keyboard, and built in 6 hour batteries.  It cost about
$1700.  I got the 1200 baud built in modem option for an extra $250 or
so.

The screen is readable though as with all LCDs it could be better.
I looked at all the laptops I could find in the Bay Area before
buying this one (at Whole Earth Access in Berkeley).  This one had
the best screen by far.  (We could not see the Toshiba; the one
store that had it had *sold their demonstrator* and would be glad
to order us a machine but could not let us see the screen ahead of time.
We said no thanks.)

Its only drawbacks are that it runs MSDOS and the floppy is very slow
-- takes a second to seek from one side of the disk to the other,
buzzing all the way, and of course MSDOS doesn't have a buffer cache so
it seeks a lot.  Also, the modem jacks use HANDSET modular plugs, not
WALL JACK modular plugs, so Whole Earth ends up making a custom cable
for each one they sell.  Also the AC adapter is pretty huge.  If they
made a version where the phone cord and AC cord came out on little cord
reels it would be a big win, but they didn't have the space.

The whole bus comes out on a long connector on the bottom, so you can
sit it in a "base unit" which can have video monitors, hard disks,
5-1/4'' disks, etc plugged into it.  No option for IBM slots though.

It came with a lousy terminal emulator, a good SideKick clone, and
wordstar or something.  The emulator had xmodem though, so I could
upload something better; I'm currently using Procomm and highly
recommend it.  I've never had trouble running MSDOS binaries, and
the hardware or BIOS emulates both color and b&w.

Be sure you get the one with a big screen.  An earlier version had a 25x80
screen but the screen was only a few inches high.  The one we got has
square pixels and a higher contrast, larger screen.

It's all very cleverly packaged and includes room for carrying two disks
inside the machine.  We've been carying it on a month long motorcycle trip,
in one of the saddlebags, and have had no problems.
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa
		     May the Source be with you!

pete@octopus.UUCP (07/15/86)

In article <897@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>This message is being typed on a Kaypro 2000, which is a laptop PC clone
>....  This one had
>the best screen by far.  (We could not see the Toshiba; the one
>store that had it had *sold their demonstrator* and would be glad
>to order us a machine but could not let us see the screen ahead of time.
>We said no thanks.)

The new Toshiba T1100+ seems to be the newest 'best' laptop in this price
range. I may be biased, since we now sell them, but we're doing it as a result
of requests from consulting clients (we evaluated a big pile of laptops!)

What's good about the new Toshiba?
	- Screen folds back all the way, which is nice in an airplane
	- 9 volt DC recharging. Cigarette lighter plug for a car/boat available.
	- comes with memory resident program that changes color-on-color
		display so you don't ever get black-on-black LCD problems
	- improved keyboard. Function keys and cursors are where they should
		be (cursors are inverted-T style, which I much prefer)
	- uses 8086 at 7.something MHz (has slow mode too)
	- 640K, 2 Floppies, Par & Ser ports, RGB & Composite ports, clock/cal,
		bundled Sidekick are all standard
	- 1 yr warranty. If you have trouble, call an 800 number. They send
		Fed Ex to pick up your machine, and they Fed Ex a replacement
		right away. (Extended warranty will be announced in ~ a week)
	- Completely PC XT compatible. Runs everything.
	- Options include internal 1200 baud modem, interface to a five slot
		PC-option-board chassis.

List price is $2400 now.  I can get good discounts. We've sold a bunch at $2K,
but our cost is falling, so I might be able to do better soon.

If you need more... Wait for new upgrades coming in ~ half a year on the
Toshiba T3100: 80286, 8 MHz, 20+ MB disk drive, 2.6+ MB RAM, etc etc... Lots
of bucks, of course!
--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014

geoff@suneast.uucp (Geoff Arnold) (07/15/86)

Sounds cute, but again... no slots. Does anyone know of a
reasonably portable (not "luggable") machine with one full-length
slot in it? Pansonic almost did it right except for the printer (X pounds
of deadweight) and the (very) short slot. Oh, well, at least using a Compaq
helps build up your arm muscles....
--
"disclaimo, disclaimas, disclaimat, disclaimamus, disclaimatis, disclamant"
UUCP:      {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc,pyramid,decwrl}!sun!suneast!hinode!geoff