[comp.lang.postscript] up - does it work with dvips?

admin@cs.exeter.ac.uk (Khalid Sattar) (09/20/90)

I have "up" which allow n up pages to be printed on a single sheet.  I
version I have mentions that it currently does not work with dvips.
Has anyone got it working with dvips?.  I tried emailing the author
directly but got no response.
--
Khalid Sattar                   JANET    : K.Sattar@uk.ac.exeter.cs
Computer Science Dept.          UUCP     : K.Sattar@expya.uucp

jgreely@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (09/22/90)

In article <ADMIN.90Sep20171957@expya.cs.exeter.ac.uk> admin@cs.exeter.ac.uk
 (Khalid Sattar) writes:
>I have "up" which allow n up pages to be printed on a single sheet.  I
>version I have mentions that it currently does not work with dvips.
>Has anyone got it working with dvips?.  I tried emailing the author
>directly but got no response.

Ah, you've hit my e-mail black hole!  Somewhere that message is filed,
in among 400K of "get back to" messages.  We've been a bit busy
replacing all of our machines in time for the new quarter, and I
haven't hacked on Up in a long time (there are several problems, which
taken together suggest a complete redesign).  These two facts combine
to create a "gee, I'll get back to him real soon".

  To get it to work correctly with dvips requires either fixing the
way that dvips writes its end-of-page code (which is in the patch on
tut.cis.ohio-state.edu), or fixing up to do its work inside the
redefined showpage instead of physically between pages.

  Since I wrote this package, I've seen a lot of *bad* PostScript that
claims to follow the DSC.  This just shows how vague that document is.
Tomas' output is *not* bad, it just does something I don't like (and
that my code doesn't catch :-)).
--
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

fj@iesd.auc.dk (Frank Jensen) (09/23/90)

    (Khalid Sattar) writes:
   >I have "up" which allow n up pages to be printed on a single sheet.  I
   >version I have mentions that it currently does not work with dvips.
   >Has anyone got it working with dvips?.  I tried emailing the author
   >directly but got no response.

     To get it to work correctly with dvips requires either fixing the
   way that dvips writes its end-of-page code (which is in the patch on
   tut.cis.ohio-state.edu), or fixing up to do its work inside the
   redefined showpage instead of physically between pages.

Actually, dvips has changed a good deal since then (it is currently up
to version 5.38 -- at least last time I looked).  The current version
sets up the TeX convention for scaling and orientation at the
beginning of each page - it does not assume that this graphics state
be preserved from page to page.

So, the conclusion is: Yes, up works with dvips!  (I'm using both
Tom's dvips and your up and parr programs.)

   J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

---
Frank Jensen,	fj@iesd.auc.dk
Aalborg University