[comp.lang.postscript] How to create composite characters ?

mfc@medoc.ec.bull.fr (Matt.Caprile) (09/19/90)

I am trying to re-encode a font dictionary for ISO 8859/2 (characters
for Eastern Europe), and am at a loss about how to create composite
characters from existing characters and accents. (Example: creating
/Zacute from the two characters /Z and /acute that already exist in
the font).  I looked thru all of the Reference Manuals for
PostScript, to no avail.

I found:
  Red Book:
    Page 95, footnote. Mentions restrictions of use, but no info on
      how to create.
  Blue Book:
    Page 200, and 211. Again, restriction of use, no help here.

  Green Book:
    A section on Composite Characters !! (Pg. 117) But all it says is:
     "for character combinations which are not already included in
      the font, some extra steps must be taken..."  Grrrrr...

Can someone enlighten me ?? It can't be all that difficult, can it ??

thanks,
  matt.caprile@ec.bull.fr

--
 Matt.Caprile@ec.bull.fr  (or  {uunet!}inria!ec.bull.fr!Matt.Caprile)
 Bull S.A.

keithm@ashtate.UUCP (Keith Mund) (09/19/90)

In article <> mfc@medoc.ec.bull.fr (Matt.Caprile) writes:

>I am trying to re-encode a font dictionary for ISO 8859/2 (characters
>for Eastern Europe), and am at a loss about how to create composite
>characters from existing characters and accents. (Example: creating
>/Zacute from the two characters /Z and /acute that already exist in
>the font).  I looked thru all of the Reference Manuals for
>PostScript, to no avail.

I tried to solve this problem long before I had access to this net.
I did succeed in adding characters to existing fonts, but never could
get Postscript to recognize existing outlines such that I could combine
them to make a composite. Adobe claimed it was not possible, so I had to
give up and create the composites from scratch (yuck). I am also interested
if someone has managed to get this job done as Matt would like it done.

The only method to do this covered in the "colored books" (tm) is to output
the characters separately. This is only available to those who have access
to the code that generates the output in the first place.

Another problem I came across was that each time a font was re-encoded,
the memory in the printer shrunk. I suspect this is related to the thread
on a software reset for Postscript and lockups. I was told this is
normal operation.

Keith Mund

kloppen@gmdzi.gmd.de (Jelske Kloppenburg) (09/22/90)

In one of the 'colored books', Tutorial and Cookbook, is an example.
I dont have the books at hand but I think is was: making minor changes to
an existing font. The trick is, to copy the font to a new font and
inserting the composite characters. I copied the axample program and
changed it for printing german 'Umlaute' - Adieresis, adieresis ... -.
It worked fine. If I understood right, the name Adieresis implies
combination of A and dieresis.

Regards j.k.

  Jelske Kloppenburg, kloppen@gmdzi.gmd.de, (++49 2241) 14-2433
  German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)

pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) (09/23/90)

In article <457@echbull.bull.fr> mfc@medoc.ec.bull.fr (Matt.Caprile) writes:

>I am trying to re-encode a font dictionary for ISO 8859/2 (characters
>for Eastern Europe), and am at a loss about how to create composite
>characters from existing characters and accents. (Example: creating
>/Zacute from the two characters /Z and /acute that already exist in
>the font).  I looked thru all of the Reference Manuals for
>PostScript, to no avail.
>Can someone enlighten me ?? It can't be all that difficult, can it ??

It is not all that easy. What you have to do is to make a font, that
for each character, instead of drawing the different parts of the
character, is calling the other font (with show), and putting in some
movetos to compose the character of the main character and the accent.
All the neccessary information on how to do this is in the colored
books, but no example.

As an alternative, you can decrypt the adobe font, putin your new
accented characters, and encrypt it again. Easy, but made messy by the
useless encryption jazz.

As a third alternative, get a program that can open the fonts and edit
the characters. Exists for the mac, and *real soon now* for MSDOS PC's.

In my opinion, it is quite messy, and a real miss from Adobe to not
consider that other contries have accented characters, and make
composition of them easy. Obviosly the postscript language is designed by a
programmer, and not a typograph.