[comp.lang.postscript] EPS files and their previews

orthlieb@adobe.COM (Carl Orthlieb) (09/24/90)

In Article 4813 (111 more) gt3930c@prism.gatech.EDU (ZUCCOLA) writes:

>I'm hoping someone out there can help me. Here's the problem:
>
>        All I want to do is take a postscript file and convert it to
>epsf, and then put it up on the mac.  The biggest problem at this
>time is not changing the format of the postscript file to epsf, but
>figuring out how to change the header info using ResEdit.
>        I've even tried a little practical test of making an epsf
>file with Cricket Draw, moving the file over to a unix machine,
>transferring it back to the Mac, and changing the file type from
>TEXT to EPSF, the usual result is a box of diagonal lines the size
>of the original drawing? What happened to the original drawing I don't
>know.
>        I'd appreciate anyone with any experience doing this to please
>send email either directly to me or posting the answer, or point me in the
>right direction.
>
>                                Thanx,
>                                H-----
The Macintosh does not interpret PostScript and display it on the screen.
When you import an EPS file into a Mac application, what you're seeing is
not the PostScript but a PICT image that is included in the EPS file itself.
On the PC, it would be a TIFF image, under any other platform it could be
an EPSI image.

When an EPSF does not include the optional screen image in one of these
formats, the importing application usually displays a gray box or a box
with diagonal lines through it.

In your test from Cricket Draw to Unix, the PICT resource was removed from
your test file at the time of transfer.

I currently am not aware of any products that will interpret PostScript and
generate a PICT for you.

Carl 8-)