[comp.lang.postscript] Type 3 fonts and ATM

clouds@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.233622.7037@ariel.unm.edu> lgorbet@hydra.unm.edu (Larry P Gorbet ANTHROPOLOGY) writes:

> The fonts produced are not as good, of course, as carefully crafted
>productions from Adobe et al. and they are only Type 3 (so ATM will not
>work with them).

Actually, ATM 1.2 and up (2.0 is the brand-new release) works with Type 3
fonts. Upgrades available for (I think) $20 from Adobe; call 1-800-
83FONTS 8-5 M-F PST. Registered owners should get a bonus offer--any font
package from the collection (except the Plus Pack) for $39.

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (09/28/90)

In article <37707@ut-emx.uucp> clouds@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes:
>Actually, ATM 1.2 and up (2.0 is the brand-new release) works with Type 3
>fonts. Upgrades available for (I think) $20 from Adobe; call 1-800-
>83FONTS 8-5 M-F PST. Registered owners should get a bonus offer--any font
>package from the collection (except the Plus Pack) for $39.

Since when?  My copy of ATM certainly doesn't work with Type 3 fonts.
My guess is you actually have Type 1 fonts and just think they're
Type 3.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | This account needs a new home in MA...
Isle Systems                  | Can you provide a link for it?

orthlieb@adobe.COM (Carl Orthlieb) (09/29/90)

In article <37707@ut-emx.uucp> clouds@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes:
>In article <1990Sep26.233622.7037@ariel.unm.edu> lgorbet@hydra.unm.edu (Larry P Gorbet ANTHROPOLOGY) writes:
>>
>> The fonts produced are not as good, of course, as carefully crafted
>>productions from Adobe et al. and they are only Type 3 (so ATM will not
>>work with them).
>
>Actually, ATM 1.2 and up (2.0 is the brand-new release) works with Type 3
>fonts. Upgrades available for (I think) $20 from Adobe; call 1-800-
>83FONTS 8-5 M-F PST. Registered owners should get a bonus offer--any font
>package from the collection (except the Plus Pack) for $39.

I believe that your information concerning ATM and Type 3 fonts is incorrect.

Because a Type 3 font can contain almost any PostScript language operator,
ATM would have to be a complete PS implementation in order to read Type 3
fonts.  ATM only has a rudimentary understanding of the basic operators found
in the Type 1 font specification.

What is true is that since Adobe has published the Type 1 format, many
companies are converting their library over to Type 1 to gain the benefits of
the hinting mechanism available through Type 1.  Thus, more and more fonts
are being made usable for ATM.

Carl 8-)

ifarqhar@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (09/29/90)

In article <37707@ut-emx.uucp> clouds@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes:
>Actually, ATM 1.2 and up (2.0 is the brand-new release) works with Type 3
>fonts. Upgrades available for (I think) $20 from Adobe; call 1-800-

Does this mean that ATM is now a full Postscript interpretor as would be
required to properly deal with type 3 fonts), or are we just dealing with a
very narrowly defined format for these fonts that allows a simple parser
to read them?

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-9403
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433