[comp.lang.postscript] PostScript to HPGL???

robert@perv.pe.utexas.edu (Robert R. Schneider) (10/05/90)

Hi;

Has anyone ever seen a public domain filter for translating PostScript to
HPGL?  I'm aware of several that go the other way but nothing which would
do this.  Any ideas for how to get this done would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance ...

Robert Schneider

|Robert Schneider              | Internet: robert@perv.pe.utexas.edu         |
|Dept. of Petroleum Engineering| BITNET: pefv673@utchpc                      |
|University of Texas at Austin | THEnet: PERV::ROBERT                        |
|Austin,  Texas                | UUCP: {...}!ut-emx!perv.pe.utexas.edu!robert|

In article <37909@ut-emx.uucp> robert@perv.pe.utexas.edu (Robert R. Schneider) writes:
>Has anyone ever seen a public domain filter for translating PostScript to
>HPGL?  I'm aware of several that go the other way but nothing which would
>do this.  Any ideas for how to get this done would be appreciated.

This is fundamentally extremely hard, because PostScript is a much more
powerful language than HPGL.  At the very least, it would require a
complete PostScript interpreter, plus some interesting design challenges
in how to implement, say, area filling in HPGL.  A simple translation
from HPGL to PostScript is no big deal, but vice-versa "there just ain't
no easy way".
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry