[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript Books

twl@cs.brown.edu (Ted "Theodore" W. Leung) (09/28/90)

I'm interested in learning about PostScript.  Can someone give me a
list of books that I should read/have in order to do some serious
PostScript programming?

Thanks,

Ted
Internet/CSnet: twl@cs.brown.edu 	| Ted "Theodore" Leung
BITNET: twl@BROWNCS.BITNET		| Box 1910, Brown University
UUCP: uunet!brunix!twl			| Providence, RI 02912

henry@hourglass.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (09/28/90)

In article <TWL.90Sep27143018@boojum.cs.brown.edu>, twl@cs.brown.edu (Ted "Theodore" W. Leung) writes:

    *  I'm interested in learning about PostScript.  Can
    *  someone give me a list of books that I should read/have
    *  in order to do some serious PostScript programming?

Beginners should start with `Learning PostScript -- A
Visual Approach' by Ross Smith, Peachpit Press, and then go
on to read the `PostScript Language Tutorial And Cookbook'
(the `Blue Book') by Adobe Systems.

Having read those books, you'd be an intermediate reader,
who should read `Real World PostScript' by Stephen Roth,
alongside Intermediate Readers should also read `PostScript
Language Program Design' by Glenn Reid.

Finally, to do `serious PostScript programming' you should have the
PostScript Language Reference Manual, published by Adobe Systems
(the `Red Book') available.  Also, `Graphic Design With PostScript'
by Gerard Kunkel has a lot of good stuff about color.

That's my three ha'pence worth.

	........  Henry

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (09/29/90)

:
:    *  I'm interested in learning about PostScript.  Can
:    *  someone give me a list of books that I should read/have
:    *  in order to do some serious PostScript programming?

In addition to the other suggestions that Henry provided, I can't
resist a plug for my forthcoming book from Addison-Wesley,
"Thinking in PostScript".  If you're a C programmer who knows little
or nothing about PostScript, then you're exactly the target audience.
If you're already a pretty good PostScript programmer, you're part of
the secondary audience.  My hope is also that even Henry and Woody and
the seasoned experts will find something of value in there somewhere.

It's not exactly a beginner's guide, but it provides some very
fundamental concepts like loops, variables, conditionals, and file
I/O in pretty good detail.

It should be out in a week or two, according to my spies.

Sorry about the plug.

/Glenn

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		PostScript/NeXT developers

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (09/29/90)

In article <1011@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, henry@hourglass.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) writes:

> Beginners should start with `Learning PostScript -- A
> Visual Approach' by Ross Smith, Peachpit Press, and then go

This one is a new one on me.  I think I'll go look it up.
As for the rest of these, I would recommend a slightly diffrent order.
I started with the Blue and Red books, because that was all that was
available.  I would strongly urge the reading of the GREEN book first,
then the Blue book, with the Red book for reference.  Finaly go to the
Orange book and the black font book.

The Green book goes into a lot of programming philosophy.  To write
truely good programs, one needs to develop a good programming gestalt
first.  The Green book does this, and does it very well.  While I don't
agree with the coding style (I prefer a more PASCAL like structure),
the technical content of the book is the best of any of them.  Once
you have read the Green book, then sit down and program, but not until.

Cheers
Woody

jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph Jackson) (09/29/90)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.lang.postscript: 27-Sep-90 Re: Postscript
Books Henry McGilton@hourglass (1016)

> In article <TWL.90Sep27143018@boojum.cs.brown.edu>, twl@cs.brown.edu
> (Ted "Theodore" W. Leung) writes:

>     *  I'm interested in learning about PostScript.  Can
>     *  someone give me a list of books that I should read/have
>     *  in order to do some serious PostScript programming?

> Finally, to do `serious PostScript programming' you should have the
> PostScript Language Reference Manual, published by Adobe Systems
> (the `Red Book') available.

When I was learning PostScript this summer, I found that reading the Red
Book's first five chapters made many "foreign" PostScript concepts very
clear to me.  Of course, the last chapter containing the detailed
operator descriptions makes better reference material than reading
material but  I would strongly recommend reading the first five
chapters.  It's only about 100 pages and is organized nicely into
sections.  The third chapter describes PostScript from a languages point
of view and was especially helpful to me.

Joe Jackson
Distributed Workstation Services
Carnegie Mellon University

Internet:	jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet:	jj1h+@ANDREW
AT&Tnet:	(412) 268-8799

mr@ogre (Michael Regoli) (09/30/90)

In <sb11mO600VQp89QGVD@andrew.cmu.edu> jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Joseph
Jackson) writes:

   Finally, to do `serious PostScript programming' you should have the
   PostScript Language Reference Manual, published by Adobe Systems
   (the `Red Book') available.

Is the new second edition Red Book available yet?   Last I heard was
"Fall, 1990."

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (10/03/90)

In article <283@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
> In article <1011@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> henry@hourglass.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) writes:
>
> In addition to the other suggestions that Henry provided, I can't
> resist a plug for my forthcoming book from Addison-Wesley,
> "Thinking in PostScript".  If you're a C programmer who knows little
> Sorry about the plug.

That is quite alright.  I've been waiting for it to come out.  I tend to
aquire any postscript book that I find.  There are few things as valuable
a knowlege.  No matter what your level of expertise in whatever field that
you pick, you can Always learn something from somebody.  :=)

Was this done when you were at Adobe, or is this your first book outside
of Adobe?

Cheers
Woody

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (10/03/90)

In article <1601@chinacat.Unicom.COM> woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:

>Was this done when you were at Adobe, or is this your first book outside
>of Adobe?

This is/was my first book outside of Adobe.  I'm actually not sure how I
feel about thinking of it as a "first" book, since that means I might have
to write another one.  Writing a book can be a lot of work, and I don't
look forward to another one in the immediate future, but I guess I did
enjoy the project :-)

Glenn
--

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (10/04/90)

In article <286@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
> >Was this done when you were at Adobe, or is this your first book outside
> >of Adobe?
>
> This is/was my first book outside of Adobe.  I'm actually not sure how I
> feel about thinking of it as a "first" book, since that means I might hav
Well some people struggle all thier lives to get a book published, so count
yourself lucky.  Yep it is hard work, but the steady (hopefully) royalty
checks sure do help. :)

Cheers
Woody

zvr@krino.ntua.gr (Alexios Zavras) (10/05/90)

Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:
|> In article <283@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us
(Glenn Reid) writes:
|> > In addition to the other suggestions that Henry provided, I can't
|> > resist a plug for my forthcoming book from Addison-Wesley,
|> > "Thinking in PostScript".  If you're a C programmer who knows little
|> > Sorry about the plug.

    Is this the same book that was planned to be published under the title
of ``The Art of PostScript Programming'' ? I have seen a couple of
Addison-Wesley catalogs and the book appears sometimes as ``Thinking
in PostScript'' and sometimes as ``The Art...''.
    Was this a temporary title that was abandoned or what ?

Curious people want to know...
-- zvr --
    +---------------------------+	Alexios Zavras (-zvr-)
    | H eytyxia den exei enoxes |	zvr@ntua.gr
    +-----------------------zvr-+	zvr@theseas.ntua.gr
"Il faut vivre comme on pense,
 sinon tot ou tard, on finit par penser comme on a vecu"

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (10/07/90)

In article <1213@theseas.ntua.gr> zvr@theseas.ntua.gr writes:

|> In article <283@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us
(Glenn Reid) writes:
|> > In addition to the other suggestions that Henry provided, I can't
|> > resist a plug for my forthcoming book from Addison-Wesley,
|> > "Thinking in PostScript".  If you're a C programmer who knows little
|> > Sorry about the plug.
|> >

|    Is this the same book that was planned to be published under the title
|of ``The Art of PostScript Programming'' ? I have seen a couple of
|Addison-Wesley catalogs and the book appears sometimes as ``Thinking
|in PostScript'' and sometimes as ``The Art...''.
|    Was this a temporary title that was abandoned or what ?
|
|Curious people want to know...

Yes, it's the same book.  Addison-Wesley picked the title(s), and it
changed somewhere along the way.  The one that actually got published
is "Thinking in PostScript".  Since most books end up on the shelf
and never read, I prefer "Thinking in PostScript"; it looks good on
your shelf :-)

A-W just sent me a copy of the cover of the book, which means that it's
in the final stages.  They said that I should get some books within a
week or so, and that they should be in bookstores by the end of October
or early November.

The cover is mostly white, with a blue stripe across the top, and a lot
of multiply-colored letters tumbling around on the cover (having little
or nothing to do with what the book's about, naturally :-).  It will be
interesting to see how successful people are at coming up with a color
to call it :-)

Glenn

--

jgreely@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (10/07/90)

In article <289@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us
 (Glenn Reid) writes:
>The cover is mostly white, with a blue stripe across the top, and a lot
>of multiply-colored letters tumbling around on the cover (having little
>or nothing to do with what the book's about, naturally :-).  It will be
>interesting to see how successful people are at coming up with a color
>to call it :-)

Could be tricky, since there's already a white book about PostScript
(although I haven't seen anyone mention it here).  Personally,
whatever I call it will be based on what colors are on the spine,
since that's what will be visible on my shelf.  From your description,
it sounds like that will be "white".
--
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (10/07/90)

In article <289@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
> Yes, it's the same book.  Addison-Wesley picked the title(s), and it
> changed somewhere along the way.  The one that actually got published
> is "Thinking in PostScript".  Since most books end up on the shelf
>
> The cover is mostly white, with a blue stripe across the top, and a lot
> to call it :-)

Sounds fairly trivial.  Obviously the WHITE book  8=}   since that
one is not yet taken. or perhaps the B&W  (blue and white).
Anyway another book is most welcome.  It irratates me that publishers
pick titles.  Authors should pick titles.  Where do publishers get
off on the idea that they can call the shots?  I'd be pretty hardnosed
about it if I were writing a book.  I'd design the cover AND the title
and reserve that right in the contract...It's bad enough that editors
screw things up.  Back in Oct of '81 I had an article published in
BYTE magazine.  I got the Galleys back, read through them, and discovered
that some editor had changed the wording of some text.  The result was that
it was totaly wrong.  Only when I threatened to withdraw the article, did
they put it back the way it was supposed to.  I was not about to have such
a thing pulled on me.

Cheers
Woody

In article <1611@chinacat.Unicom.COM> woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:
>... Where do publishers get
>off on the idea that they can call the shots?  I'd be pretty hardnosed
>about it if I were writing a book.  I'd design the cover AND the title
>and reserve that right in the contract...

You might have to bargain pretty hard for rights to do the cover design.
Barring ultra-technical books -- the ones with the extremely bland covers
and extremely high prices :-) -- the cover of a book is *advertising* for
the book, and publishers understandably think sales will be higher if
the cover is designed by a professional.  Publishers "get off on the idea
that they can call the shots" because it's *their* money paying for
publication, and they are the ones who will be out of pocket if it sells
57 copies from a print run of 1000000000.

My understanding is that even getting right of approval of cover design
is generally impossible unless you have the clout of, say, a near-certain
bestseller.

Actually, there are publishers who give you complete control over it all.
They're called "vanity presses".  The gotcha is that you get to pay all
the bills in advance, and selling the books afterward is your problem.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry