[comp.lang.postscript] Why No Adobe Host-Basec Interpreters?

schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) (10/11/90)

With Adobe finally licensing (and producing) direct-market interpreters
for the HP printers, why don;t they do in the host-based clones (like
Freedom of Press, UltraScript, Goscript, etc. etc) by producing one of
their own. Of course there would be performance trade-offs, but think
of the market they're losing now by restricting themselves to HP brand
printers! Is anyone from Adobe listening?

jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) (10/11/90)

In article <34733@cup.portal.com> schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) writes:

> With Adobe finally licensing (and producing) direct-market interpreters
> for the HP printers, why don;t they do in the host-based clones (like
> Freedom of Press, UltraScript, Goscript, etc. etc) by producing one of
> their own.

Apparently they do; the PS previewer that comes with DecStation 3100s
(dxpsview) contains an Adobe-licensed PS interpreter.  Actually that's
not true, it's the DecStation's X server which has Adobe PS built in,
but dxpsview's startup banner says it's Adobe licensed.

It's very fast, too.

One annoying (though probably intentional) thing abount this arrangement
is that I can't rlogin to one of our decstations and run dxpsview with the
display happening on the Sun on my desk, because the PS is built in to the
X server, I have to actually go and sit in front of the thing.  Bummer.

		-- Jamie

In article <34733@cup.portal.com> schuster@cup.portal.com (Michael Alan Schuster) writes:
>With Adobe finally licensing (and producing) direct-market interpreters
>for the HP printers, why don;t they do in the host-based clones (like
>Freedom of Press, UltraScript, Goscript, etc. etc) by producing one of
>their own...

One reason why they might legitimately hesitate to do this is the copying
problem.  There are great practical advantages to selling interpreters
that are imbedded in a piece of hardware, because it makes them much
more difficult to pirate.
--
"...the i860 is a wonderful source     | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
of thesis topics."    --Preston Briggs |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry