[comp.lang.postscript] DEC Server 20 -- how do I 'activate' duplex mode

cjs@po.CWRU.Edu (Christopher J. Seline) (10/11/90)

Hi,
I'm not even sure if our DEC Server 20 has a duplex (both-side) mode.  But
if it does how do I 'start' it?

Also, how do I tell a postscript print (specificly the Dec Server 20) which
paper tray to use?

Thanks in advance,

cjs@cwru.cwru.edu

lasko@regent.dec.com (Tim Lasko, Digital Equipment Corp., Westford, MA) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct10.223659.1180@sun1.ins.cwru.edu>, cjs@po.CWRU.Edu (Christopher J. Seline) writes...
>I'm not even sure if our DEC Server 20 has a duplex (both-side) mode.  But
>if it does how do I 'start' it?
>Also, how do I tell a postscript print (specificly the Dec Server 20) which
>paper tray to use?
>cjs@cwru.cwru.edu

Digital's PrintServer 20 does support duplex printing and tray selection.

If you're programming in PostScript, you can use the PostScript extension
operator:

  boolean setduplexmode  --
          -------------

if the boolean value is TRUE, duplex printing is enabled starting with the next
sheet.  *One* way to select paper trays is with this PostScript extension
operator:

  integer setpapertray --
          ------------

If you're trying from an operating system to get duplex:

VAX/VMS:  $ PRINT/QUEUE=foo/PARAM=(SIDES=2) filename
U*ix:     $ lpr -Pqueue -K2 filename

Or paper trays:

VAX/VMS:  $ PRINT/QUEUE=foo/PARAM=(INPUT_TRAY={top|middle|bottom|lcit}) filename
U*ix:     $ lpr -Pqueue -Itray filename   [tray is {top|middle|bottom|lcit}]

Of course, all of this is documented in the various manuals, but I wasn't
sure of what resources you had available.

Tim Lasko, Digital Equipment Corp., Westford MA  (lasko@regent.enet.dec.com)
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own; the facts can speak for themselves.

chet@cwns1.INS.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) (10/16/90)

In article <16000@shlump.nac.dec.com> lasko@regent.dec.com (Tim Lasko, Digital Equipment Corp., Westford, MA) writes:

>Digital's PrintServer 20 does support duplex printing and tray selection.

>U*ix:     $ lpr -Pqueue -K2 filename
>U*ix:     $ lpr -Pqueue -Itray filename   [tray is {top|middle|bottom|lcit}]

The `*' in the above should be replaced with `ltr'.  Dec does not distribute
source to its modified lpr with the rest of its `TCP/IP Supporting Host'
package for the Printservers; only binaries for Ultrix are available.

Chet

--
Chet Ramey			``As I recall, Doug was keen on boxing.  But
Network Services Group		  when he learned to walk, he took up puttin'