[comp.lang.postscript] Help: WordPerfect printing to a PostScript file

steves@mcrware.UUCP (Steve Simpson) (10/19/90)

I am a former WordPerfect user and haven't been around it for a while.
An associate is trying to write a document to a PostScript file so they
can take the file to a service bureau for output.

I have been unable to find any information on writing/printing a doc
to a file.  Any suggestions (even the proper steps :-)) would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

"Homer" Simpson
"Remember...As fas as anyone knows,
we're a nice, normal family."
Disclaimer: My words, not theirs.

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (10/19/90)

gerland@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (James R. Gerland) writes:

>In article <3435@mcrware.UUCP>, steves@mcrware.UUCP (Steve Simpson) writes...
>>I am a former WordPerfect user and haven't been around it for a while.
>>An associate is trying to write a document to a PostScript file so they
>>can take the file to a service bureau for output.
>>I have been unable to find any information on writing/printing a doc
>>to a file.  Any suggestions (even the proper steps :-)) would be greatly
>>appreciated.

>At the PRINT menu (shift-F7) chose SELECT then EDIT (3) the printer and change
>the PORT (2) choice to OTHER (8) and give it a file-name.

An additional step is that to get a *Postscript* file on the disk you
should be editing a printer driver like the Apple LaserWriter that will
produce Postscript output.
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) (10/19/90)

In article <3435@mcrware.UUCP> steves@mcrware.UUCP (Steve Simpson) writes:

>I am a former WordPerfect user and haven't been around it for a while.
>An associate is trying to write a document to a PostScript file so they
>can take the file to a service bureau for output.
>
>I have been unable to find any information on writing/printing a doc
>to a file.  Any suggestions (even the proper steps :-)) would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance.

>"Homer" Simpson
>"Remember...As fas as anyone knows,
>we're a nice, normal family."
>Disclaimer: My words, not theirs.

Someone asked this before on the net and I replied it through e-mail. I think
I will waste a bit of network bandwidth for a change.

To print to a file in Word Perfect, you first have to use Shift-F7 to go
to the print menu. Then pick select printer and choose the laser printer of
your choice. Still under select printer, choose option 3 (edit) to edit
the driver. Another menu will show up to allow you to change the port,
font, size, etc. Pick the Port option. Instead of choosing LPT1, COM1, etc.,
chooose OTHER. This will allow you to type in the output filename. After
you are done, F7 to exit back to the top level. No whenever you print, the
output goes to the designated filename.

Unless you go through the above all the time, all output will be redirected
to that same file, which mean overwriting the previous ones. If you don't
feel like changing the above all the time and you need to keep the outputs,
better rename each one after it's being printed.

Yeah, so much for user friendliness!

Andy

Andy Sun                            | Internet: sun@me.utoronto.ca
University of Toronto, Canada       | UUCP    : ...!utai!me!sun
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering     | BITNET  : sun@me.utoronto.BITNET

jmd@franklin.ee.umr.edu (Jim Dumser) (10/19/90)

In article <90Oct18.222136edt.21887@me.utoronto.ca> sun@me.utoronto.ca (Andy Sun Anu-guest) writes:
>To print to a file in Word Perfect, you first have to use Shift-F7 to go
>to the print menu. Then pick select printer and choose the laser printer of
>your choice. Still under select printer, choose option 3 (edit) to edit
>the driver. Another menu will show up to allow you to change the port,
>font, size, etc. Pick the Port option. Instead of choosing LPT1, COM1, etc.,
>chooose OTHER. This will allow you to type in the output filename. After
>you are done, F7 to exit back to the top level. No whenever you print, the
>output goes to the designated filename.

There's one more step, depending on how you intend to print the file.
Someone here is doing their thesis in WP 5.0, and so I know!  There appears
to be a bug in the Postscript drivers: _t (one of the procedures defined in
the prolog) is always followed by ONLY a carriage return -- no linefeed.
The guy here was shipping the file up to a Unix machine to have it spooled
there, and he uploaded the file using Kermit.  Kermit removes the lone
carriage return (other "text" protocols may as well).  He had to send it as
a binary file (set filetype binary, I think) for it to keep the carriage
return intact.

Jim

|  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,  |
| but fools despise wisdom and discipline. Proverbs 1:7 |
|    Internet: jmd@ee.umr.edu     |  M S - D O S . . .  |
|    UUCP: ...uunet!umree!jmd     |    Just say "NO!"   |