[comp.lang.postscript] Display Postscript

sec@uhmanoa.UUCP (James Chang) (12/11/87)

There was display postscript driver on posted on net.  Due to network
disruption I was able to get only one part.  Could anyone send me
all portions of that driver?.

Thanks in advance

					Sehyo Chang
					Software Engineering Lab
					sec@coby.ics.hawaii.edu

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (06/24/88)

In article <511@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk> liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:
)These extensions to PostScript are probably only available through the
)application procedural interface (makecontext, setcontext etc), so they
)don't involve new primitives available directly in raw PostScript. This
)allows the claim that "new applications for the Display PostScript
)system will be compatible with existing PostScript printers".
)
)William Roberts         ARPA: liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk  (gw: cs.ucl.edu)

So how do you scroll text in a rectangular window, or won't we need to
do that on the workstations of the future ;^)?

There must be more.

	jimm
--
	Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing
	amiga!jimm	BIX:jmackraz

liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk (William Roberts) (06/27/88)

In article <2484@amiga.UUCP> jimm@cloyd.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
>So how do you scroll text in a rectangular window, or won't we need to
>do that on the workstations of the future ;^)?
>
>There must be more.

Not according to the stuff I received. How about

        erasepage
        0 1.5 translate
        do_it_all_again

Come on Adobe - you people read this board: is there any value
in having the PostScript OUTPUT model in an interactive
environment where the intermediate screen displays are of much
more value that the final result? How do you scroll a text
screen? How do you find out if the cursor is pointing at the
object you have just drawn?  If you are going to be high and
mighty about Sun NeWS, perhaps you have answers to the problems
it is trying to address.
--

William Roberts         ARPA: liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk  (gw: cs.ucl.edu)
Queen Mary College      UUCP: liam@qmc-cs.UUCP

trainor@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Vulture of Light) (06/29/88)

liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:

	>Come on Adobe - you people read this board: is there any value
	>in having the PostScript OUTPUT model in an interactive
	>environment where the intermediate screen displays are of much
	>more value that the final result? How do you scroll a text
	>screen? How do you find out if the cursor is pointing at the
	>object you have just drawn?  If you are going to be high and
	>mighty about Sun NeWS, perhaps you have answers to the problems
	>it is trying to address.

Are you going to SIGGRAPH?  Leo Hourvitz is the chair for the PostScript
course -- "lead implementer for Display PostScript at NeXT".  Speaking
from Adobe:  Linda Glass, Glenn Reie, and Andrew Shore.

greid@ondine.COM (Glenn Reid) (06/30/88)

Thank you for the overview of Display PostScript, first of all.  It is
a pretty good interpretation of the overview document mentioned
(available from our server as Documents/DPSoverview.ps).  Since we
are participants in this forum, I welcome any questions about Display
PostScript, since it is difficult sometimes to sort fact from fiction.
I'll do my best to paint a clear picture of the product.

Below are some brief responses to William Roberts' comments, but first
let me add a little to the overview.

The procedural interface to the Display PostScript interpreter, dubbed
"PSWrap," allows you to write PostScript language code and compile it
into your application with a C interface calling convention.  The C
code generated by PSWrap will, when executed, send bursts of digested
PostScript code to the server for interpretation.  The server, as a
separate process, will generally execute this code asynchronously.

The approach will be to develop applications in C, not in PostScript.
Most of the work of the application is done in C by the application
program, and when it is time to display something, you make a call
either to a built-in Display PostScript client library routine or to
one of your own PSWrap routines to communicate with the Display
PostScript server.  This offloads all of the device-dependent aspects
of supporting displays, especially with fonts, which are handled
exactly as they are in the printer PostScript environment (as outline
fonts, referenced simply by name and point size).  The entire font
library will work on the displays without modification.  There are no
WYSIWYG problems with font scaling or interpolating from bitmapped
fonts, and the results are the same as would be obtained on the
printer.  Also, you don't have to figure out N different screen font
representations or environment-specific text-setting routines.

The Display PostScript System is not intended as a new "development
environment", but as an integral part of the operating system display
technology that can be largely invisible to application development.
In much the same way that programs do not need to be recompiled to deal
with different keyboards today, they will not need to be recompiled for
different display technologies tomorrow, with the Display PostScript
System.

The PostScript language has been enhanced in several ways to support
the more dynamic requirements of displays, including repeated execution
of objects, repainting, font handling, and so forth.  It also has full
garbage collection and management of shared resources (like fonts,
primarily).  I can't give you a lot of detail on the language
extensions yet, unfortunately.

Anyway, here are some quick responses to William's message:

>The Display PostScript interpreter does not provide logically separate
>PostScript environments.
	Yes, it does.  They are "contexts", and there can
	be any number of them.  Each context has its own environment,
	including separate stacks, VM, graphics state, etc., although
	resources can be shared either through the "sharedVM"
	facility or though explicit sharing between processes.

>			PostScript code can be shared between "windows"
>by a shared memory scheme, hence save/restore is no longer adequate and
>garbage collection is introduced. Each window is a separate context, and
>the interpreter can switch between these contexts. It is not clear
>whether or not "multi-tasking" means more than this: if so, it probably
>means that the interpreter executes PostScript asynchronously on behalf
>of the application, and interleaves the execution of code in different
>contexts.
	Basically, yes.  Processes can also be spawned individually.

>Almost all of the other information merely recites the benefits of
>ordinary PostScript.
	Of course, what is wonderful about Display PostScript is that the
	benefits of ordinary PostScript are going to be available
	for displays, which should solve many of the development
	problems associated with supporting specific hardware.

>			There is no concept of "input" in Display
>PostScript whatsoever, and the cheap stab at NeWS is not particularily
>becoming....
	Not a cheap stab, but a pointed clarification of a difference
	that is not often clearly understood.  We are only concerning
	ourselves with imaging.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems
PostScript Software Division

greid@ondine.COM (Glenn Reid) (06/30/88)

>Not according to the stuff I received. How about
>
>        erasepage
>        0 1.5 translate
>        do_it_all_again
>
>Come on Adobe - you people read this board: is there any value
>in having the PostScript OUTPUT model in an interactive
>environment where the intermediate screen displays are of much
>more value that the final result?
	Yes.  The fact that it will be INTEGRATED into a windowing
	environment addresses that.  For example, take the Macintosh.
	There is the Font Manager and there is the Window Manager.
	The font manager gets bits written to the screen that
	represent text characters, and the Window Manager deals
	with scrolling the windows, overlapping, etc.  The application
	uses both:  if the window system tells it that it needs to
	redraw something, it will do that.  If the application
	wants to scroll, it can do that without redrawing the bits
	from the original "source".

	We're not breaking any new ground; that is a lot of the point
	of working within existing windowing systems.  These problems
	have been solved.  We're helping with writing the bits in
	a device-independent way, which is the hard part.

>					How do you scroll a text
>screen? How do you find out if the cursor is pointing at the
>object you have just drawn?
	How do you do this in X windows?  Same problem, same
	solution, except as regards the object you have just
	drawn.  That is where the integration of the window
	system with the Display PostScript system will help,
	in coordinating a mouse event with the object-oriented
	nature of your drawing.  I can't be any more specific
	just yet.

>				If you are going to be high and
>mighty about Sun NeWS, perhaps you have answers to the problems
>it is trying to address.
	We're not trying to address them, that is part of the point.
	We will just coordinate nicely with whatever solution
	is appropriate in a given environment.

	And I do want to emphasize that we are not trying to
	be high and mighty about NeWS or anything else.  We
	are just developing technology.  It's perfectly feasible
	to use Display PosTScript within the windowing environment
	provided by NeWS.

	There is an awful lot of speculation about all this;
	I'd like to help shed as much actual light as possible.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

gregb@dowjone.UUCP (Greg_Baber) (07/26/88)

In reading through the stuff on Display PostScript, I think I read where
for a certain time, there will be two "versions" of PostScript, printer
PostScript and "display" PostScript. The extensions required for the display
version will be incompatible with those currently in the thousands of PS
compatible printers, but that Adobe was hoping to "unite" these two versions
in the future.

My concern is being able to render pages identically both on the screen and
on paper. Will it be possible to take a Display PostScript file and
image it on a printer without first stripping out all of the DP specific
extensions, or am I missing something?
--
Reply to: Gregory S. Baber		Voice:	(609) 520-5077
	  Dow Jones & Co., Inc.		E-mail:	..princeton!dowjone!gregb

rjfst4@cisunx.UUCP (Robert J. Fiore) (08/24/88)

Does anyone know where I can get information on Display Postscript like
the Red and Green books published by Adobe or any other information?

					Thank You
					Robert Fiore
__
rjfst4@cisunx.UUCP

bwong@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (bruce.f.wong) (04/27/89)

I need information on Display Postscript.  What is it ?
References are welcomed.

Please reply via e-mail.  I don't read these groups.

mra@srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) (10/15/90)

	Does anyone know of a good book covering "Display Postscript?"  I am
working on an upgrade to GNU's Ghostscript to support display postscript in
the next release GNU GS.

	Also, I would be interested in any programs/data files that demonstrate
or partially implemenet display postscript. I've not worked with writing
Postscript before, so I'll be learning as I develope the enhancements.

	Thanks.

---
Michael R. Almond                                  mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				    emory.edu!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)
.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'. Georgia Tech Alumnus .'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.

In article <260@srchtec.UUCP> mra@srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) writes:
>	Does anyone know of a good book covering "Display Postscript?"  ...

I seem to recall that the new edition of the red book, due out Real Soon Now,
is supposed to cover it.
--
"...the i860 is a wonderful source     | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
of thesis topics."    --Preston Briggs |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.164134.906@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <260@srchtec.UUCP> mra@srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) writes:
>>	Does anyone know of a good book covering "Display Postscript?"  ...
>
>I seem to recall that the new edition of the red book, due out Real Soon Now,
>is supposed to cover it.

	Is this a book Adobe puts out covering Postscript?  (Is it really red?)
Does anyone know of a source?

	Thanks.

---

news@cs.mu.oz.au (news) (10/17/90)

From: danielce@ecr.mu.oz.au (Daniel Ake Massimo Paolo Carosone)

A new one:
     "Display PostScript Programming"
     David A. Holzgang
     ISBN 0-201-51814-7
     Published July 1990 by Addison-Wesley.

Pretty good, but I dont have a DPS machine handy to try out some of the
stuff on..
---
Daniel Carosone, danielce@ecr.mu.oz.au
Also: System Administrator,
      TeXworks (Australia) Pty. Ltd.

m1pkd00@arccs3.FRB.GOV (Prasad K. Dharmasena) (10/18/90)

>	Also, I would be interested in any programs/data files that demonstrate
>or partially implemenet display postscript. I've not worked with writing

If you have access to Mathematica (by Wolfram Reseach), it contains some
executabels used by Mathematica to display PostScript graphics *created
by Mathematica*.  They do not support the whole of postscript language.
The files are in /{usr}/mathematica/Bin.{machine}/Display/ directory. It
contains sunps(SunView), x11ps(X Windows, v.11),
tekps(Tektronix-emulation), ttyps(character, NeWS.view.

To use Mathematica, you have to be a licensed user registered with Wolfram.
I guess that applies to these binaries as well as "math" binary executable.

I tried to display other ps files using x11ps, but had no luck.

-Prasad

shiva@well.sf.ca.us (Kenneth Porter) (10/20/90)

Adobe has a Display PostScript binder for $45 with a lot of stuff
on the subject.  I've only begun to crack the cover.