[comp.lang.postscript] Are Adobe font copy protected

mnc@us.cc.umich.edu (Miguel Cruz) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct17.210551.22847@tandem.com> goodill_eric@tandem.com (Eric Goodill) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I was reading the manual for a music program which can make use of Adobe's
>Sonata font.  It says something which implies that once I donwload my copy of
>Sonata to a particular LaserWriter, then I cannot use the font on a
>different LaserWriter.  Is this true?
>
>The music program in question is Professional Composer, and the manual
>says, "Adobe fonts can be initialized only _once_ for a _single_ laser
>printer.  Make sure that the printer for which you initialize is the one
>you will normally be using."  Underlines are theirs.

A few years ago, Adobe protected its fonts so that each could only be
used with one printer. Many people hated this (including me), since it
meant major hassle when you bought a new printer or moved to another
department or if you printed at a public place (major hassle being
requiring a call to Adobe and waiting for them to send you new disks).

Apparently they gave it up in response to widespread complaints (or
because maintaining it became too much trouble for them). Anyway, now
your Adobe fonts do not have this restriction, and instead you are
bound by law and honesty, rather than strongarm tactics, to follow
the license agreement.

--
Miguel_Cruz@ub.cc.umich.edu

--