[comp.lang.postscript] Level 2 vs. Display PostScript?

ghost@aladdin.com (L. Peter Deutsch) (10/19/90)

I've been following the discussion about Level 2 PostScript here, but
I don't remember seeing any mention of the relationship between Level
2 and Display PostScript.  Does anyone have any firm information
about whether all of the features of Display PostScript are included
in Level 2?  Some of the stuff in Display PostScript, like the new
memory manager, the hit detection operators, view clipping, and the
multi-process facilities, seems quite specific to display
environments; other stuff, like the new encoding formats, the support
for rectangles, the user path machinery, and the new halftoning
mechanisms, seems to be environment-independent.

Any non-confidential but well informed reponses would be greatly
appreciated.  (Yes, I know the answers will be in the new Red Book,
but Real Soon Now doesn't seem to have arrived yet. :-))  Thanks -

L. Peter Deutsch :: Aladdin Enterprises :: P.O. box 60264, Palo Alto, CA 94306
ghost@aladdin.com | {uunet,sun,decwrl}!parcplace!aladdin!ghost | (415)329-0264
	    "Implementation is the sincerest form of flattery."

jdn@europa.Eng.Sun.COM (Jeff Nisewanger) (10/20/90)

In article <20.UUL1.3#5127@aladdin.com> ghost@aladdin.com (L. Peter Deutsch) writes:
>I've been following the discussion about Level 2 PostScript here, but
>I don't remember seeing any mention of the relationship between Level
>2 and Display PostScript.  Does anyone have any firm information
>about whether all of the features of Display PostScript are included
>in Level 2?  Some of the stuff in Display PostScript, like the new
>memory manager, the hit detection operators, view clipping, and the
>multi-process facilities, seems quite specific to display
>environments; other stuff, like the new encoding formats, the support
>for rectangles, the user path machinery, and the new halftoning
>mechanisms, seems to be environment-independent.
>
>Any non-confidential but well informed reponses would be greatly
>appreciated.  (Yes, I know the answers will be in the new Red Book,
>but Real Soon Now doesn't seem to have arrived yet. :-))  Thanks -
>
>L. Peter Deutsch :: Aladdin Enterprises :: P.O. box 60264, Palo Alto, CA 94306
>ghost@aladdin.com | {uunet,sun,decwrl}!parcplace!aladdin!ghost | (415)329-0264
>	    "Implementation is the sincerest form of flattery."

	I haven't done a line-by-line comparison but it's a generally safe
statement that everything in Display PostScript will be in the printer
version of PostScript Level 2 except for things relating to multiple
processes the associated syncronization facilities and the operators
listed in Display PostScript as window-oriented operators like the view
clipping.

	The "insideness" operators and the garbage collector *are*
part of the printer version of PSL 2 as far as I can tell. This info
is based on the incomplete draft handouts on PSL 2 from the
Adobe Developer's Conference.

--
Jeff Nisewanger                         ARPA: jdn@Eng.Sun.COM
Window Systems Group                    UUCP: ...!sun!jdn