[comp.lang.postscript] Wanted - color PS files

CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu (Christopher Tate) (10/25/90)

A friend of mine has recently acquired a color PostScript printer for his
MicroVax, and is in search of color PostScript demos to "exercise" it, and
see just how well it performs in color-intensive and calculation-intensive
situations.

Does anyone know of a source (preferably anonymous ftp) for color PostScript
documents?  I'm looking more for "dazzling" than computationally hard; I
already have some code that simulates a Spirograph (C), which should serve
rather nicely along those lines.

(BTW, if anyone wants the Spirograph (C) code, just speak up.  If there's
 enough interest, I'll post it; otherwise I'll mail it to you.)

-------
Christopher Tate                           | Mercy (noun):
                                           |  The infrequent art of turning
  Bitnet: cxt105@psuvm                     |  thumbs-up on your opponent at
  Uucp:   ...!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105  |  the end of your rapier.

dmlaur@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (David M. Laur) (10/26/90)

In article <90297.145704CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu> CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu (Christopher Tate) writes:
>Does anyone know of a source (preferably anonymous ftp) for color PostScript
>documents?  I'm looking more for "dazzling" than computationally hard;

I've built some color PostScript *image* files that you can try.
These are guaranteed to exercise your printer (as well as your
disk drive, your network, and your patience).  These files are big.
Some color printers do not support the (Level II) "colorimage"
operator, and even some of those that do still crash on large
images.  Of the modestly priced color PostScript printers, we've had
the best luck with the Tek 4693 PXN "Phaser", although image printing
speeds are still too slow for our use. We've found that one can
expect a screen-dump sized image, 1280 x 1024 x 24bits
to take up almost 8meg in PostScript form; it will also take
as much as 50 minutes to print, depending on the printer (it takes
25 minutes on the Tek, however the PXN produces the same quality image
for 12-bit RGB as for 24-bit, so you can halve both time and space
by reducing the color resolution initially).

I'm looking forward to having access to a full Level II implementation
on a printer, particularly one that supports the various data decompression
schemes, my disks are full of images! (my hovercraft is full of eels!)

Anyway, to get the files:

  ftp gauguin.princeton.edu   (128.112.224.1)
  login as "ftp"   use any password
  cd pub/ColorImgs
  set binary transfer mode
  ls .       (to list available files, PostScript files are xxx.ps.Z)
  get the ones you want
  quit ftp

On your machine, uncompress the files, send them to your printer,
then go get lunch.

The files of interest are:

 small.ps.Z     -  small test image, 108x275 x 24bits, tests
                   whether printer can handle color images at all

 big.ps.Z       -  a system stress test, 24bit RGB (7965717 bytes)
                   this is an SGI screen dump, various fractal images,
                   the background should be gray! not sickly green
                   or off-red, etc. This image also uses the PostScript
                   rotate operator to achieve a "landscape" orientation

 boo.4bit.ps.Z  -  a thematic Halloween image of a CAT-scanned
                   human body. 363x373x12  (4 bit RGB)

Also possibly of interest to this group, in pub/pix there's an executable
I wrote called "px2ps" which runs on Silicon Graphics 4D/IRIS machines,
it converts SGI, TIFF, Targa, and Alias images to color PostScript.

---

David Laur
Princeton University                     I am resplendent in divergence.
Interactive Computer Graphics Lab                           - D.Byrne
dmlaur@magritte.princeton.edu