[comp.lang.postscript] Test Page on Power On / Off

jce2@doc.ic.ac.uk (Jason C Edmeades) (10/15/90)

Sorry if this is a question that is frequently put up, but could anyone please
mail me a copy of the postscript file to switch the test page printing off
when an Apple II Laserwriter is turned on. Also could someone (if poss)
give indications of how to print this file from a PC, as this is for a friend
who has no access to the net.

Regards

Jason

--
#=================#============================================================#
|     jce2	  |		This Is A Blank Space			       |

schwartz@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Dwight Schwartz) (10/16/90)

(Jason C Edmeades) writes:
>Sorry if this is a question that is frequently put up, but could anyone please
>mail me a copy of the postscript file to switch the test page printing off
>when an Apple II Laserwriter is turned on.

	If such a file exists, and isn't too long, could one of its posessors
please post it?

Dwight A. Schwartz
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign   ---____--_-____---_-_-_________--_

heygel@inf.ethz.ch (Reto Heygel) (10/16/90)

If you don't want the wasteful Apple LaserWriter startpage,
send the following two lines to the printer:

serverdict begin 0 exitserver
statusdict begin false setdostartpage

And if someone of Apple Inc. is listening:

WHY DON'T YOU TELL THIS TO YOUR CLIENTS ???

I'm sure there are thousands of pieces of paper wasted everyday
because of that stupid startpage.

Reto Heygel
Departement Informatik
ETH
CH-8092 Zuerich

heygel@inf.ethz.ch

heiney@wsl.dec.com (Bob Heiney) (10/16/90)

Here's a program that should do the trick:
(You need to know the password for your LaserWriter -- I'm assuming
below that it is the default, 0.)

Disclaimer:  This is for the original LaserWriter, but I bet it
still works.

---- Cut Here ----
%!
serverdict begin 0 exitserver  % exit normal server save/restore context
statusdict begin
false setdostartpage  % change 'false' to 'true' to print startup page
end % statusdict
%%EOF

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.074124.1616@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> schwartz@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Dwight Schwartz) writes:
>(Jason C Edmeades) writes:
>>Sorry if this is a question that is frequently put up, but could anyone please
>>mail me a copy of the postscript file to switch the test page printing off
>>when an Apple II Laserwriter is turned on.
>
>	If such a file exists, and isn't too long, could one of its posessors
>please post it?

The following code works on many printers, but since it is a
device-specific language extension, it's not guaranteed to work on all
of them.  It is, however, the only way to turn off the startup page and
will probably do the trick on your printer:

%!
serverdict begin 0 exitserver	% where 0 is your password
statusdict begin
    false setdostartpage
end

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		PostScript/NeXT developers

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (10/17/90)

In article <11672@neptune.inf.ethz.ch>, heygel@inf.ethz.ch (Reto Heygel) writes:
> WHY DON'T YOU TELL THIS TO YOUR CLIENTS ???

It is in every suppliment that I've seen for the printer.  It certainly
was in the docs for the PS-810.  For the life of me, I cannot see why
one should want to disable it.  On the PS-810, it prints out the configuration
of the machine, as to which i/o mode it is using, and the number of pages
printed.  I depend on it to help me do job billings, and make life easier
in general, so I don't try to print postscript when it is in LaserJet mode
etc. etc.  The pages also make a handy useage log.

Cheers
Woody

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (10/18/90)

In article <1647@chinacat.Unicom.COM> woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:
>                                       For the life of me, I cannot see why
>one should want to disable it.  On the PS-810, it prints out the ...

There are two reasons that I disabled my startup page.  The first is that
it saves a lot of paper (trees) if you turn your printer off and on very
often. The second is that the printer (my printer, at least) boots quite a
bit faster if it doesn't have to print the startup page.  I'd say, at a rough
guess, that the printer will boot in 10 seconds instead of 45 seconds, but
I've got a hard disk attached, so that may account for some of it.

Glenn

--

heygel@inf.ethz.ch (Reto Heygel) (10/18/90)

In article <1647@chinacat.Unicom.COM> woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM
(Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) writes:

> It is in every suppliment that I've seen for the printer.

Apple didn't supply me with that information. I bought a
LaserWriter 2NTX last year.

> For the life of me, I cannot see why
> one should want to disable it.  On the PS-810, it prints out the configuration
> of the machine, as to which i/o mode it is using, and the number of pages
> printed.  I depend on it to help me do job billings, and make life easier
> in general, so I don't try to print postscript when it is in LaserJet mode
> etc. etc.

How do you know the configuration of your printer at 4 p.m.? When you don't know it,
are you going to push your printer off and on again to get the smart start page?
Laser printer manufacturer should provide their machines with a little status
display to get those informations.

You didn't comment the thousands of pieces of paper being wasted due to these
start pages. I'm sure that the status display would be an easy and comfortable
way to prevent this waste.

Reto Heygel
ETH Zurich
Switzerland

heygel@inf.ethz.ch

mfc@medoc.ec.bull.fr (Matt.Caprile) (10/19/90)

In article <11672@neptune.inf.ethz.ch> heygel@inf.ethz.ch (Reto Heygel) writes:
>If you don't want the wasteful Apple LaserWriter startpage,
>send the following two lines to the printer:

Another solution (instead of send a program to the printer) is to
withdraw the paper basket (tray?) from the printer. If the tray isn't
in the printer when the start-up code is finished, it doesn't print
anything. Since when turning the printer on, you are usually next
to the printer, I have found this to be the simplest solution.

--
 Matt.Caprile@ec.bull.fr  (or  {uunet!}inria!ec.bull.fr!Matt.Caprile)
 Bull S.A.

cnolan@vax1.tcd.ie (10/25/90)

cnolan@vax1.tcd.ie (10/25/90)

In article <11672@neptune.inf.ethz.ch>, heygel@inf.ethz.ch (Reto Heygel) writes:
> If you don't want the wasteful Apple LaserWriter startpage,
> send the following two lines to the printer:
>

> serverdict begin 0 exitserver
> statusdict begin false setdostartpage
>

> And if someone of Apple Inc. is listening:
>
> WHY DON'T YOU TELL THIS TO YOUR CLIENTS ???
>
> I'm sure there are thousands of pieces of paper wasted everyday
> because of that stupid startpage.
>

> Reto Heygel
> Departement Informatik
> ETH
> CH-8092 Zuerich
>
> heygel@inf.ethz.ch

As I was saying ...

I must agree with Reto.   We have a QUME Crystalprint Publisher which spews out
endless startpages}i~r, not only at power-up but any time the configuration is
changed, ie serial to parallel port.  Hundreds of sheets were wasted and there
was no mention of how to stop it in the documentation.  We eventually got the
relevant lines from QUME in the UK.  Whew!  Now what to use for scratch paper?

       	 	Conor Nolan			Phone:	772941 (X1741)
           	Microelectronics Dept.		Fax:	772442
            	Trinity College
	      	Dublin 2			cnolan@mee.tcd.ie
  	     	IRELAND				ampere::cnolan

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (10/26/90)

In article <7120.27261f54@vax1.tcd.ie>, cnolan@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
> In article <11672@neptune.inf.ethz.ch>, heygel@inf.ethz.ch (Reto Heygel) writes:
      **  If you don't want the wasteful Apple LaserWriter startpage,
      **  send the following two lines to the printer:
      **      serverdict begin 0 exitserver
      **      statusdict begin false setdostartpage
      **  And if someone of Apple Inc. is listening:
      **  WHY DON'T YOU TELL THIS TO YOUR CLIENTS ???
      **  I'm sure there are thousands of pieces of paper wasted everyday
      **  because of that stupid startpage.
      **  Reto Heygel, Departement Informatik
      **  ETH, CH-8092 Zuerich
    *   As I was saying ...

    *  I must agree with Reto.   We have a QUME
    *  Crystalprint Publisher which spews out endless
    *  startpages, not only at power-up but any time the
    *  configuration is changed, ie serial to parallel port.
    *  Hundreds of sheets were wasted and there was no mention
    *  of how to stop it in the documentation.  We eventually
    *  got the relevant lines from QUME in the UK.  Whew!  Now
    *  what to use for scratch paper?

See the Red Book, page 298.  setdostartpage operator.

	........  Henry

In article <1708@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) writes:
>See the Red Book, page 298.  setdostartpage operator.

Do remember that there are two different Red Books and only one of them
has this information.
--
The type syntax for C is essentially   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
unparsable.             --Rob Pike     |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry